Does addingplywood between uneven floorbaords and lino work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have uneven floorbaords and as thinking of adding lino. I was told you cannot add lino to an uneven surface and I would have to add plywood inbetween.

Even if you do add layers of plywood, since the base underneath it would be uneven, would this work properly? If people are stepping on it the pressure would go to the ply and then into the gaps between the ply and floorbaords no?

Anyway, is the solution to add plywood and if so is there a special way to go about doing it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A picture of the floorboards would give a better idea
Would it, really?

Its certainly not unheard off, either to add ply or hardboard ontop of floor boards before laying lino/cork/tiles/etc

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Should be fine, most people use 6mm ply, or thicker if the floor is particularly uneven. If you can, line up the edge to coincide with the joists.

Given your other issues I would recommend using a spruce plywood, and not a far eastern ply as they can contain more irritable (smelly) timber species, make sure it has an E1 emission class (this should be stamped on the plywood).

A picture of the floorboards would give a better idea
Would it, really?

Its certainly not unheard off, either to add ply or hardboard ontop of floor boards before laying lino/cork/tiles/etc

Daniel

Ye it would, the person mentioned gaps in the floorboards? Pictures would clear up exactly how big the gaps are and wether ply wood be suitable, hardboard? Dont make me laugh

And as for using 6mm ply yes thats fine aslong as the floorboards are nice and smooth if not then no 6mm ply wont be fine as it will follow the levelness of the floor, fix the problem dont cover it up, and as for using far eastern ply use it! Its one of the more stable ones, and just to add about ply being 'stamped' you cant go by this anymore there is so much ply that is being stamped with such and such stamp when its cheap chinese c**p b&q and wickes are just 2 that have been found guilty of wrongly(fake) stamped ply.

3mm hardboard ring nailed every few inches will be fine for laying vinyl flooring on, if the high - low points arent too excessive.
6mm is absolutely fine too but I find it gets used a lot when 3mm would be fine.

I have 20yrs in the flooring trade, coverings and sub-floor/boarding.

Hi All,

Following on from this conversation, can I just ask ( I created my own thread on this), would using chipboard be a good alternative if the spacers are close by?

My ground floor room has springy laminate and I wanted to remove the laminate and lay straight chipboard .... but reading this, it may be better to use plywood .. ?

Thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back