Does anybody recognise this pattern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just removed an internal wall because I needed to move it slightly. I will need to patch the ceiling where the wall has been taken away from and attempt (in my inexpert way) to get the same patterning on the ceiling in that place.

I have added a picture, below, of the pattern on the ceiling. Can anybody tell me what tool has been used to create this pattern? Also, will I have to use Artex, or can I use some other substitute, like smoothover polyfilla? It's only a relatively small area and it will mostly be hidden inside a shower cubicle, so I am not looking to create a work of art.

Thanks.

Paul

Sponsored Links
That to me looks like "Broken Leather" pattern. If you want to replicate it you will have to use a stipple brush (with rubber stipples.) First of all you must cover the stipples with polythene.and tape it under the handle so it is quite tight,a polythene bag is ideal for it.I think you may get away with using "Easi-fil". First of all unibond the area or paint it (To seal it) mix your "Muck " up and with a wide brush paint your mix on (one stroke one way then one stroke the other way) then load your brush and same again till youv'e covered your area. Then dip your stipple brush in the mix and put it on the patch you have laid on and turn your wrist one way then the other and move over the area and Voila!!! you should have a pattern that resembles what you showed us..... ;) It might need a bit of practicing first but you should get there in the end. How I know about this is because I did quite a bit of artexing in the early eighties but we called it "Texturing" Ok my secrets out now :oops: But I found that this pattern was the one most popular with the ladies and I made quite a bit of money doing it on bathroom ceilings,,, Happy days..

Thanks for a very full answer. I will get the gear and get stuck-in ASAP.

Much appreciated.

Paul :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for a very full answer. I will get the gear and get stuck-in ASAP.

Much appreciated.

Paul :LOL:

Let us know how you get on with it.. ;)

I did a Google search for 'broken leather' and it led me straight to the Artex web site and you are correct, this pattern is the one called broken leather. Also, the method you described is exactly as they describe it. 10 out of 10! Thanks again for an accurate steer.

Who needs Google :LOL: When you've got us lot.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back