Artex is making an imediate comeback!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
10 year's on and I'm still learning; when a customer asks you to "do the ceilings" after having down-lights fitted in their currently artexed ceilings, don't just assume they mean skimmed flat.

Halfway through a the second coat she walks in, looks up disappointed...
"Oh. Are you doing it plain? I don't like it plain."

:eek:

And so, dejected, I flattened off what was on, and made arrangements to come back tomorrow with artex.

I'm hoping someone more experienced in the art can give me an idea what sorta day I'm in for, and answer a few questions/ give a few opinions!

I've used artex just once before, found it to be lovely to work with, but that was just patching up over new board, tomorrow I have 2 ceilings to do, one over today's half finished skim (12'x12' ish) and one over existing artex (a fiddly 10'x6' ish, thinking this'll get 2 coats)

The currently artex ceiling had a couple of coats of pva this morning, and will get one more first thing, and I intend to give today's work a couple of coats of pva before I go over it. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm also unsure of coverage, 30-50m2 for a 25kg bag sounds impressive (bloody wants to be impressive for £20 a bag!), but there's no mention of avg thickness, so patterns aside, can I really expect it to go further than 3 bags of multi?!

Lastly, how long will it stay live? I seem to recall when I patched up with it before, I got it all on flat, then had plenty of time for a clean up, tea n a smoke before I put a pattern on it. Does that sound a likely scenario given what I'm laying on over, or should I be doing sections as I go?

Thanks for reading, Will

Sponsored Links
Artex over artex? Good luck with that one.

Just don't go back. Not worth the hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back