Does anyone know a structural engineer? East London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently brought a house that has a 1970s extension on the back.

The original Back wall now was a large 220 x 180cm window in, seperating it from the new extension. I want to knock the wall out below the window, only.

I'm trying to get a structural engineer to tell me if this is doable. 99% sure it is. As I know there's a lintle above the window.

Does anyone know a structural engineer?

I'm getting quotes between £800 - £1000

Attachments

• 17157660971551758649175266144588.jpg
    17157660971551758649175266144588.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 1715766115667240237067023369564.jpg
    1715766115667240237067023369564.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
OP,
From your limited info and pics it looks to be a straightforward job of removing the rad & the panel of bricks below the window frame - but leaving the window in its existing position?
Neither the brick panel nor the frame support the lintel. The lintel has bearing at either end.
The frame will be presently fixed with, say, two or three fixings per side - it will probably be resting on the brick panel.
It will need to remain firmly and safely fixed in place.
You dont need a SE or BCO for doing what you seem to propose but what is your "final plan"?

OP,
From your limited info and pics it looks to be a straightforward job of removing the rad & the panel of bricks below the window frame - but leaving the window in its existing position?
Neither the brick panel nor the frame support the lintel. The lintel has bearing at either end.
The frame will be presently fixed with, say, two or three fixings per side - it will probably be resting on the brick panel.
You dont need a SE or BCO for doing what you seem to propose but what is your "final plan"?
I assume the window is coming out at the same time.?

Yes, correct. So just the area underneath the window will be removed.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Apologies, I didn't see your reply.

The final plan is to remove the window and brick below the window and leave this as an opening to the room behind it.
Do you think I need to reinforce the wall to the left and right of the window once the brick in the middle has been removed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back