Does anyone know what is wrong with my cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a combination boiler (immersion only) that seems to have been malfunctioning for the last few weeks. Every now and then (probably a couple of times a day) the cold water tank on the top (built i to the tank, open top) is getting really hot. This is causing the cupboard in which it sits to get extremely humid and wet.

The thermostat was changed recently, and this made no change to the situation. I have noticed that the ballcock valve is fairly degraded and seems to drip water through when it shouldn't, which is causing the tank on top to get a bit overfull - but I can't see how / why this would cause the top tank to be getting hot (going to try and replace this today).

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's a fortic cylinder not a combi,, and it's getting too hot.
Was it the immersion thermostat that was changed, what setting was it put on? Should be about 60 degrees.
I'm wondering if it was wired up correctly, it's possible to bypass the thermostat quite easily if you're not careful.

sooey/dan: thanks. post title changed.

It was the immersion thermostat that was changed (this was done by a proper plumber/electrician, I was out at work when this was done). Everything seemed to be exactly the same as it was before after it was changed. The water is a little hotter than it used to be, but again, the problem it the same as before it was changed. The water it's self is what I would call a pretty normal temp when it comes out of the taps. I will grab a look at the thermostat when everyone has washed and I can turn it all off for a bit.

Would this kind of heater have some kind of vent or anything like that on it? Do these types feed back into the cold tank on top (e.g. if the water was getting too hot)

Sponsored Links
Bottom, (hot) tank) is fed from, (and vents back into), the top cold storage cistern. If the cold water in the top is getting hot, then something is wrong below, the immersion is overheating the water and therefore is faulty. As sooey says, get your plumber/electrician back, it is potentially dangerous.

If the water is coming out of the taps at a normal hot temperature then I don't see the stat as being faulty or wrongly set.

I would expect that something is wrong, blocked or similar, although I cannot imagine what could be at fault.

These are very simple and little scope for problems!

Tony

I have noticed that the ballcock valve is fairly degraded and seems to drip water through when it shouldn't, which is causing the tank on top to get a bit overfull
Many thanks!
there should be an overflow pipe - is the water getting as high as that?

The water doesn't usually seem to make it to the overflow. The valve is only dripping slowly - the water heats up and evaporates faster than it drips in.

I held down the ballcock earlier to overfill the tank on top a bit, and it (i think) vented shortly after that. the top tank was nice and cold before, and pretty hot after (you couldn't hold your hand in there for too long).

I only have a phone number for my landloard, and I can rarely get in contact with him (he has answered 2 phone calls out of ~60 in the last 3 weeks). I know getting a proper plumber in would be the best thing to do, but I really can't afford to do that until I next get paid. So for now I am kind of stuck with whatever I am able to do myself :(

Hi All,

I have a combination boiler (immersion only) that seems to have been malfunctioning for the last few weeks.

Many thanks!

So, only now, do you tell us that you don't have this cylinder at all! Its your Landlord's !

Now the advice is to not tamper with it at all yourself. You can be liable for any damage you do to it.

The obvious thing to do is to contact your Landlord and get him to sort it out.

If he refuses or does not respond then give him written notice with at least three day's timescale that if he will not sort it out or discuss it then you will engage a plumber yourself and deduct the cost from your rent.

If there is an agent then contact them.

If you have a mobile number for the landlord then send a text and not just call him.

Even so I still have not thought of any possible causes and apparently nor has anyone else.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back