Does boiler efficiency get worse over time?

I always make the point to customers, that changing the boiler to a newer, and therefore less reliable boiler isn't always the way forward.
In your case, let's for argument sake say it will cost you £2k to change your boiler, it will take an awful long time to recoup that outlay, when your new boiler will still be using gas, albeit a little less.
£2k buys a lot of gas.
Your old boiler will probably go for another 10yrs, by which time you may decide to move house, and save yourself a load of money.

A good many new boilers are getting tired after 10yrs, and may require expensive parts, or replacement.

Only my opinion as an installer, no offence meant to others.

Sponsored Links
As I have a CH output of 50C with a return temperature of 33C my combi boiler should have an efficiency of around 96%. It is a modulating boiler with smart controls with various temperature thresholds set throughout the day and night. As I don’t have a tank we are not heating water unnecessarily. Daily average consumption for HW only is around 3kw for the 4 of us. Much of that saving comes from an aerating shower head that gives the impression of a high powered shower but is only using 5.1 litres of hot water a minute. The hot water temperature is set for 42C so we add very little cold.

GklO2R9.jpg

Last edited:
I always make the point to customers, that changing the boiler to a newer, and therefore less reliable boiler isn't always the way forward.
In your case, let's for argument sake say it will cost you £2k to change your boiler, it will take an awful long time to recoup that outlay, when your new boiler will still be using gas, albeit a little less.
£2k buys a lot of gas.
Your old boiler will probably go for another 10yrs, by which time you may decide to move house, and save yourself a load of money.

A good many new boilers are getting tired after 10yrs, and may require expensive parts, or replacement.

Only my opinion as an installer, no offence meant to others.
Thank you - that is helpful to know, especially as we'd be looking nearer £4k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back