does external lift shaft need pp or br approval?

Sponsored Links
Will you be knocking holes in the house wall at ground and first floor level, for doorways/acess-hatches?

I've designed lift cores in 30 storey buildings (yep, things were great before 2008) and I've never heard of LOLER, so I wouldn't get too het up about it.

LOLER covers passenger lifts and has done since 1998? Lifts require a 6 monthly inspection by a qualified person

Sponsored Links
Yes
If you've designed 30 storey lifts then presumably they come under LOLER as once any person who is being paid in any capacity steps inside, they are covered by LOLER

there will be 2 wires, each with a breaking strain > 2,500kg - what are the chances of both snapping simultaneously?

If they were 2 wires in 2 different machines, the probability would be low.
But as the are in the same machine, and as the failure of one will result in the strain on the second suddenly doubling, then I'd say that the probability is HIGH.

Regarding the chance of one breaking with a spec of 2,500 kg. That's 25 kN. That's similar to the strength of climbing ropes.
But the difference is that a climbing rope is much more elastic, so it can absorb much larger impulses.
Imagine getting into your lift holding a 25kg bag of sand, and dropping it on the floor (say 1m drop). The potential energy lost is 250 J. A climbing rope might stretch by 10cm when the bag hits thr floor; since work done = force x distance, force = energy absorbed / distance = 250 / 0.1 = 2.5 kN, so safety factor = 10. If your wire stretches by only 1cm, force = 250 / 0.01 = 25 kN and it's in danger of failing.

this is a simple, lightweight device to raise and lower a small load a short distance

Your definitions of "simple", "lightweight", "small" and "short" may be different from mine!

To me the most important feature of this machine is that it is safety-critical. Don't make it too simple or lightweight, and do study best practice first (i.e. copy an established design with a long safety record!)

@ endecotp ... thank you for bringing those regs to my attention. It would appear that, if I keep the speed of the lift down to .15m/s, then none of those rules apply - I have no problem complying with that requirement.

@ Lower ... there will be 2 wires, each with a breaking strain > 2,500kg - what are the chances of both snapping simultaneously?

The discussion strayed from the topic somewhat but, re the lift, bear in mind that this is a simple, lightweight device to raise and lower a small load a short distance a few times a day - one needs to keep a sense of proportion!
I run a company that designed and brought to market a disabled access platform lift around 10 years ago. We make every single part of it apart from the electrical proprietary items. Your sense of proportion will need expanding as you get into the project!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back