Does Hive need internet to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father-in-laws house has no internet, the thermostat needs replacing it used a S plan and a two channel Hive will connect easy to the existing boiler, well does not really connect to boiler it connects to the motorised valves. 3 and 4 go to the brown wires of the two valves, that bit is easy.

I like the boost feature and fact it can be programmed I live next door but one, so I could try to connect to my internet maybe using a booster, but could not guarantee there would always be a good connection. i.e. booster on an extension lead to set up then removed.

Sponsored Links
Hive needs the internet for most of it's functionality. Using one without is pointless.
There are plenty of other programmable thermostats which do not require an internet connection and cost far less than the Hive.

3 and 4 go to the brown wires of the two valves,
The hot water connection must go via the cylinder thermostat, otherwise there is no control over the water temperature.

Thanks not fitted one yet, thought the hot water was wireless like the air temperature, anyway idea seems out if it needs internet, but before buying cheap thought worth looking at, so looks like £25 unit and bridge the contacts in the programmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back