Does my consumer unit have a RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can someone identify which features my CU has and is missing? I think it was installed in early 2000s.

The background is that I'm looking to add some outdoor lighting (250v) and so was wondering if I need a RCD on the external socket (that I thought could add to a spur off an existing outdoor light). The advice I read appears to be that it's not necessary if one already has an RCD on the consumer unit.

I looked at my CU and frankly am baffled, ever after reading lots of "consumer unit explained" type sites (and the wiki here) which delve straight into the details and whose photos look nothing like mine. I can't see anything on my CU that says MCB or RCD. All I can see is Wylex Cat No 804 <100A BS5486 :pt13.

Please don't say 'get an electrician in' as that will take ages, and I just want to know if I really need another CU, can make do with a RCD external socket, or if I need to go for battery lights instead! ;)

Attachments

• 2021-01-27 14.59.36.jpg
    2021-01-27 14.59.36.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 308
Sponsored Links
There all MCBs and no Rcd will fit that unit, even them MCBs are virtually obsolete

Rcd sockets are great to protect whats plugged in, however a lot of times the ACTUAL wiring to that socket needs Rcd protection.
You would likely need a RCD in a separate box mounted next to that Wylex CU or if your flush with cash get the Wylex updated to a newer unit with RCDs enclosed but thats likely out of your scope to install.

I think it was installed in early 2000s.
If it was installed in this century, it was already obsolete when fitted.

It contains overload and short circuit protection only.
There is nothing else. No RCD, no surge protection, no arc fault protection.

All socket outlets require an RCD now.
Those likely to be used for things outside have required an RCD for the last 30 years.
Most cables installed in the walls will require an RCD as well, as do lighting circuits in dwellings.

BS5486 was withdrawn in 1994.

If you want to add items or alter anything connected to it, a new consumer unit is the only viable option.

Sponsored Links
Tx all - so it looks like I need a separate RCD for outside use until I get the CU replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back