Consumer unit (RCD)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a sparky friend to wire up a shed & will be putting in a 4way RCD consumer unit to manage the sockets (1), Lights (2) and external socket (3), plus leaving 1 spare in the CU. He is taking his time and therefore to hurry things along I am going to buy the CU, but as the price varies greatly, do you get what you pay for? are most CU's similar? I dont want a split load as the shed will be housing fish & lots of salt water.

Also, when choosing a 4way RCD CU, does it mater what Amp & mA the unit has? The CU will be connected to the house via a 6mm SWA running about 35Meters

Any advise would be great.

Stu

Sponsored Links
So when your damp outside socket trips the RCD and all your fish die, you'll hard wire the fish equipment onto the non RCD side of the new split load board? :evil:

the external socket is a weatherproof (ip66) unit so hopefully wont do that. The reason I wanted the whole system on RCD was electricity & salt water dont mix, and i often have wet arms :eek:)

Yeah, ok. Even weatherproof can get damp as a result of condensation build up. I totally agree that the RCD should be there for safety's sake, but you might want to set up some sort of no-volt/supply failed alarm for the RCD as a whole, or even just for the fishtank.

I can't help but protest when consumers buy parts on behalf of electricians. How many times do you turn up at a garage to get your car serviced, air filter, oil filter and oil in hand. Let the professionals select the materials they require/prefer.

To "hurry things along" you could maybe just try ringing him up?

Sponsored Links
lol, what you mean you dont take your own plates to a resturant? :D unfortunately (for me), he has just had his 2nd child and therefore with paying work & his extended family, a little busy and therefore trying not to pester him to much.

and therefore back to the consumer unit. what would be your advice :?:

If you can afford it, you could use RCBOs instead of MCBs.

That way, a trip of the outdoor socket will not trip the fishtank supply.

I was wonderring how long it would take John, I was trying not to suggest it before you! :LOL:

RCD sockets cheaper? perhaps not for an outdoor one, even a cheapy Greenbrook jobbie!

A fish keeper will be tending to fish twice a day with any luck at least! A tripped RCD is no biggy - No need for an alarm!

My personal preference with the tropical fish in my garage is not to have them on an RCD. I have both tanks plugged into 4 way adaptors where I can plug them into a plug in powerbreaker if I want to. It is surprising how quickly they get cold should the power trip, especially in winter if the insulation isn't great. At the moment I am attending one of the tanks at least 4 times a day, baby catfish!

With some of the more exotic marines, all you have to do is look at them funny and they die! I bet there are a few fish keepers who have cursed an RCD or two! I quite like the idea of an RCD supply only whilst you maintain the set up though! Might become tedious keep swapping over though. Oooh most gratuitous use of a changeover switch!!!!

Spark123 - how have you got your garage set up? what would you suggest as I was only looking at a full RCD CU for safety reasons more than anything, but will consider other options.

The shed will have 3 circuites, 1 for an external socket, 1 for the plugs inside the shed & 1 for the shed lighting.

The shed lighting doesnt really need to be protected, but I would want the external socket to be RCD'ed. Then is leaves the internal sockets that would be connected to tank heaters, pumps, lights, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back