Does my German house need a rewire?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello, who do I ask to determine if a house needs a rewire? Can I just get a few local electricians out to check the electrics in the house and ask for their opinion? Or is there an EICR equivalent that provides a full overview of a properties electrical installation?

I am moving in to a new property and given how invasive a rewire is, I would prefer to do one before we move in if it is required (or would be required in the next 10-20 years).

Sponsored Links
Hello, who do I ask to determine if a house needs a rewire? Can I just get a few local electricians out to check the electrics in the house and ask for their opinion? Or is there an EICR equivalent that provides a full overview of a properties electrical installation?

I am moving in to a new property and given how invasive a rewire is, I would prefer to do one before we move in if it is required (or would be required in the next 10-20 years).
When was the house built or last rewired?

When was the house built or last rewired?
1950. I'm not sure hen it was last rewired. I will have to ask the seller. I also need to look at the consumer boxes etc which I forgot to do during the 1st visit. I probably shouldn't be buying a house!

Sponsored Links
A house built in Germany in 1950 (shortly after WWII) should be wired with TPS sheathed PVC insulated conductors and should not need rewiring from this aspect. (Older properties with "rubber" insulated cables are a different matter !)
However, some such cables at a slightly later date may have had some "plasticizer" problems, but even these problems do not ""necessitate" rewiring - just cleaning and "keeping an eye" on the exposed end of the cables.

If they have not been installed to date, any circuit requiring RCD/RCBO "Protection", additional to or as a replacement for MCBs (Miniature Circuit Breakers), should have such equipment installed, according to any local "codes".
Installing RCDs/RCBOs on (virtually) all domestic circuits is now required in Australia/New Zealand and is a good "safety procedure - even if not (yet) required in Germany.

Of course, the number of "Socket Outlets" installed may not be adequate for today and you may require additional ones, which may require the "extension" of some existing Radial Circuits or the addition of some "new" Radial Circuits.

These matters do require the checking by and advice from a competent local electrician.

@FrodoOne Thanks, that puts my mind at rest a little. The house is perfectly livable now and having to renew the entire electrical system would be a huge pain. Its possible The system isn't the original and was updated since the 50s. I'll keep the thread updated.frodo

Last edited:
Back