Does my Oven have the correct Cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Just in the middle of a prexmas clean and the missus insisted cleaning behind the oven. I thought the cable might not be the right one for the job. It looks like ordinary grey cable (take the cover off the back and you can see it is twin and earth) and it shows 6.0 on the outer sheath.
So presuming this is ordinary 6.0mm twin and earth is this correct for our oven which the manual says has a mximum of 5.8kw? Shouldn't it be a special heat resistant cable?
I just thought it might be some special cable for the job.
Please tell me this is alright as my missus wil go spare if we have to get a sparky out now!Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a fairly standard installation. 6mm2 cable is capable of carrying between 32 to 46 amps depending on the method of installation and length of cable run see table 4.7

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.9.htm

Traditionally this would be fitted with a 30 or 32A fuse or MCB for a load of upto 7Kw

It's not normal to use heat resistant cable as the location of the cable is usually well away from heat. The oven installation manual will provide full details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back