Changing Pullcord switches to 1gang switch PLEASE HELP????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon, Please bare with me as i know very little about electrics.

I live in a house with old type electrical wires (red and black) I would like to replace and remove the pullcord switches in the upstairs bedrooms and the upstairs bathroom with 1 gang switches. I have run and fixed the mini trunking down the walls and fitted the 1 gangs boxes and switches in their disired locations.

I have the used 1.5mm (6242Y) twin and earth? (grey outer sheathing with a brown, blue and earth wire inside) from each light to each switch (None have been connected).

I disconnected one of the old pull cord switches and discovered that the wire goes from the light to the pull cord switch and then to a round black junction box (in the attic) - I couldn't see them all for all the loft insulation (we live in a council house and were having extra loft insulation the following day - that is why i wanted to do all the lighting - before they came), but i think they are all like it - there is certainly another one, at least that goes to the junction box.

when i disconnected it, It wasn't two wires going to the pullcord switch as i originally thought. What they had done (whoever wired it before) is - They split the other sheathing, cut the red and the earth from the same wire and used the red wire as separate wires (if you know what i mean), they joined Both the earth's together and covered it with either a blue or green sheath. But the black wire was untouched - it still remained whole.

As i said earlier, i am NOT too clever :?: when it comes to electrical :oops: and normally i will not touch what i don't know about. What i would like to know is could someone please explain to me how i wire these 1 gangs up please? And in a language that an amature would understand please :?: :D

I really haven't got a clue. Oh, sorry - i forgot to mention that the sparky that was supposed to come - Didn't. And that is why I Had to Have a go at doing it myself :cry: .

:idea: Oh, Just one more querry, please. Could i use a cooker? cable to operate a shower? please.

It has white outer sheathing, 2 x 6 mm wires twin and earth.

Sorry for the LONG post. Thanks for bearing with me and thank you in advance for all replies.

Sponsored Links
Jamieneathuk said:
Good Afternoon, Please bare with me as i know very little about electrics.

As i said earlier, i am NOT too clever when it comes to electrical and normally i will not touch what i don't know about. What i would like to know is could someone please explain to me how i wire these 1 gangs up please? And in a language that an amature would understand please

I really haven't got a clue.

Oh, Just one more querry, please. Could i use a cooker? cable to operate a shower? please.

It has white outer sheathing, 2 x 6 mm wires twin and earth.

we live in a council house

Sorry but based on your post my advise would be to contact another sparks before you either hurt yourself or someone else who moves in after you

Jamieneathuk said:
I live in a house with old type electrical wires (red and black)

So do I, as do most folk in the country.

I would like to replace...the pullcord switch in the...bathroom with 1 gang switch

Yikes :eek:

(Anyone know a good undertaker?)

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Jamieneathuk said:

Thanks for that - makes me feel a lot better. (I was just stating what wire was in my house, so that any advice would be correctly given.

I would like to replace...the pullcord switch in the...bathroom with 1 gang switch

I want the switch on the outside wall in the bathroom. I am not overly keen on switches in the bathroom.

I have contacted a 'qualified sparky' to do the job for me as i don't know enough about electrics to do it myself.

Thanks for replying. :D

why dont you want a switch in the bathroom? You cant hurt yourself on a pullcord. Well, you could try . . . :rolleyes:

Jamieneathuk, i admire you for trying but in this case i feel you should get another electrician

RF Lighting said:
Jamieneathuk said:

7671 allows this in Z3.

Jamieneathuk said:
I have contacted a 'qualified sparky' to do the job for me as i don't know enough about electrics to do it myself.

Thanks for replying. :D

That's fine, looks like you have a lot of support in that decision.

You might like to buy (or borrow from the library) some of the books on home wiring. There is a good one by "Which". Make sure you get one published within the last 18 months as there were some regulatory changes.

There are limits to what you are allowed to do yourself, but the illustrations and explanations should help you understand how to do things like light switches and sockets, which are fairly straightforward once you know them.

crafty1289 said:
why dont you want a switch in the bathroom? You cant hurt yourself on a pullcord. Well, you could try . . . :rolleyes:

If you tried to hang yourself on it, it would probably pull out of the ceiling and you could break your neck falling on the floor! :LOL:

Thanks for all replies - i do appreciate them!

JohnD

You might like to buy (or borrow from the library) some of the books on home wiring. There is a good one by "Which". Make sure you get one published within the last 18 months as there were some regulatory changes.

There are limits to what you are allowed to do yourself, but the illustrations and explanations should help you understand how to do things like light switches and sockets, which are fairly straightforward once you know them.

Can you remember the actual name of the 'Which?' book? and can you name any other books that you can recommend please?[/b]

It's called something terrifically obvious, like "The Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting"

There is also a Readers Digest book.

There will be books for electrical engineers and trainee electricians which will probably lose you.

Edited to say, hahaha I'm quicker than RF!

And look at your county's website for something equivalent to
http://libcat.hants.gov.uk/cgi-bin/...&typesect=&time=&search_string=&title_string= but look at the publication date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back