Does my water tank contain asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for advice please.

My dad decided he was going to remove the water tank from my loft today and got straight to work before i had a chance to see. Im really nervous now ive looked that its asbestos. He says its lead and no health concern. I have a son with developmental delays so i am super cautious. I know my dads just trying to help but im worried.

Its a wooden box with lining of some kind then it has white stuff flaking off from where it looks attached to the wooden box.

Could someone have a look at these pics & advise? If it is lead what's best way to remove safely. It looks like he was just trying to bend it off from the wooden box...

Thankyou for your help!

Attachments

• 20190402_171553.jpg
    20190402_171553.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 20190402_171612.jpg
    20190402_171612.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 20190402_171658.jpg
    20190402_171658.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
It's definitely lead sheet Goodness knows why he wants to remove it :unsure: Best thing would be to cut a board to cover it and screw it on - then forget it.

Thank you Nige. He's obviously got it into his head. Bored and likes a challenge... i let him potter about with odd jobs to keep him happy! My husband is not a handy man at all. We are looking to convert loft into a playroom / den for the kids next year.

Is there any hazard to this? If he drives on regardless? Thankyou so much for replying. Is lead dangerous if disturbed x

Wow, I remember coming across loo cisterns like this too.....
Shift it or leave it, its harmless.....the white stuff is mineral deposits from days of yore.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As all above, lead lined tank, dating possibly from before WW2 ?

Biggest risk from that tank would have been if it were still in use, because water running or stored in lead tanks or pipes will allow the lead to leach out into the water supply, Lead based Solder is banned from drinking water systems.

Only "basic" safety procedure is to wash the hands after handling lead.

For example, my hobby is shooting targets with various types of rifles and air guns, in the range where i shoot, there are notices stating that the shooter should wash their hands after handling lead ammunition.

Overall a very low risk.

Coming to think on it there is a higher health and Safety risk lifting and moving lumps of Lead down from the loft and into the car for disposal at the scrap merchants yard?

Ken.

If anything all he may need is a pair of gloves and a mask for any dust that may come off, as with anything like that. He'll want to cut that lead up to make it easy to transport.

Thank you Nige. He's obviously got it into his head. Bored and likes a challenge... i let him potter about with odd jobs to keep him happy! My husband is not a handy man at all. We are looking to convert loft into a playroom / den for the kids next year.

Is there any hazard to this? If he drives on regardless? Thankyou so much for replying. Is lead dangerous if disturbed x

Removed lots of lead from soil stacks - probably more dangerous doing that off a ladder working at height. As for anything else in your loft feel free to do as you’ve done and post pics if uncertain of anything. As with anything that could be dusty use gloves and mask as a minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back