Old lead lined water tank - removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ages ago I drained a lead water tank in our loft and capped its cold supply. The tank didn't supply anything, but had a live feed and must have been like that for 30 years or more.

I am now going to remove it to make some space, sell the lead etc. I have a few questions though.....

1) It consists of a wooden dovetailed box (approx 3ft x 3ft x 3ft) and appears to be lead lined (3 or 4 mm say) but with a layer of fibreglass/polymer type material over that. The property is Victorian - any idea what the top coating may be - ie is it safe to break off, not asbestos etc?

2) Is the easiest way of getting the lead into manageable bits to remove sections of the outer wood and then hacksaw it? Space might be an issue in places - would something like tin snips be up to the job?

3) I drained the tank months ago and its now bone dry, but a bit dirty at the bottom. The water seemed pretty clear at the time, apart from a surface film - would any germs etc that might have been in the water now be safe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It seems that it was leaking and renovated by lining with PROBABLY fibreglass resin.

If I was doing it then I would cut it into bits using a power circular saw with a tungsten carbide tipped blade.

But I am not sure about the value of lead with fibreglass stuck on it. It would probably need to be incinerated to get the fibreglass off.

Get the space but don't count on much value from the lead!

Tony

hi tony - thats what i thought, as from my googling any asbestos in tanks were not lining but the whole tank.

luckily it looks like the resin isn't really bonded to the lead so should just break off. is a circular saw not a bit OTT for some lead?

As a DIY'er:

Do not go clambering about in a dark cold loft with a circular saw.

Take up a corded light and a hammer and tin snips.

And from inside the tank give it a few cracks - the dovetail will open, and the lead can be knocked into a manageable shape to get down the hatch. Tin snips will cut and piece the lead if thats easier.

Any piping previously connected to the tank should be followed to source ie. where they/it branches off a rising main or cylinder etc. and capped off at the tee.

Dont leave any redundant dead legs. Always drain and disconnect them.

AAMOI: given the age in question, its possible that the pipe(s) connected to a long gone solid fuel back boiler.

Sponsored Links
This will have been the CWSC for the building, very common in Glasgow tenement attics, and occasionally you come across one still in use. I presume the OP is in a house rather than a tenement flat but I still wouldn't fancy the job, it will be filthy apart from anything else. Last time I was at the scrappy lead was around £2.50 a kilo.

Regards
Martin

The circ saw was a solution if the resin was bonded to the lead which should have been the objective.

If not then above.

That makes it a pretty simple job and best done now rather than during the summer when the temperature becomes intolerable.

Tony

This will have been the CWSC for the building, very common in Glasgow tenement attics, and occasionally you come across one still in use. I presume the OP is in a house rather than a tenement flat but I still wouldn't fancy the job, it will be filthy apart from anything else. Last time I was at the scrappy lead was around £2.50 a kilo.

Regards
Martin
that sounds like potentially a decent haul at that price! any idea of the weight of lead in a tea-chest sort of sized tank?? i tried to calculate at say 5 sides each a metre-square, and say 3mm thick but wasn't certain of the mass-per-metre-cubed

also, whats the scrap value of a copper boiler? have one of them up there too, but will need to chop/flatten to get it through the loft hatch

it will be calculated in pounds weight per square foot = probably 5lb/sq. ft;) that will give you an accurate weight then convert to metric x£2.50 . Let us know how it goes

Aren't there health hazards in lead dust and contact with the skin?

Lead isn't like nuclear waste giving off radiation or something. Skin contact with lead sheet or pipe is no big deal - just dont create lead dust, and wash your hands, & scrub your nails after handling it. In some instances wear gloves and a respirator.

The above lead tank lining should present no health safety issues unless you take the above advice and go cutting it with a power saw.

Last edited:
Still better to wear gloves when working on it but not a major health hazard.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back