does obsolete gearbox= new window ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a broken window lock (window will not lock), took out the gearbox, its broken and it has been identified as a frameware gearbox, now obsolete. What can I do, will another gearbox fit/be made to fit, or do I have to replace the sash, or the whole window ??
help please

Sponsored Links
Picture of the gearbox and what it operates would be good but yes generally you can Retro fit a different make

D'oh i know it operates a window :LOL: but i meant what does to gearbox connect to and operate, i'm assuming with the serated teeth (female) at each end it connects to some other sort of mechanism (male) most likely shoot bolts

Sponsored Links
Sorry, you are absolutely right. You can see from one of the photos the saw teeth female end that connects to a male rod on each side that pushes a bolt on either side of the lock into stops on the bottom side of the window

I sent them an email with the above photos on friday afternoon and will give them a follow up call on monday. Do you think they might stock the parts or be able to recommend an alternative ?

I have been happy with them in the past, no idea what they have in stock but let's hope they can sort out your problem.

D G supplyline are spot on for parts, if you email them these photos I'm sure they'll have a gearbox that would work

just an update to close off this thread. First many thanks for all the advice. I found both dsgsupplyline ('[email protected]') and handlesandhinges ('[email protected]') most helpful.

to answer my question, you can fit a standard new mechanism by removing all the old ones parts and basically starting again. In the end I did not need to do anything as I looked in my lease agreement and the freeholder is responsible for fixing window bits, but I am a little more educated than before I started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back