Does the front of a chimney form part of a party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a standard semi detached house. The main party wall is easy to define but I don't know if my chimney breast forms part of this party wall.

I know the back of my chimney breast forms part of the party wall but does the front?

I've got to install some bolts into the front to take the load of a small steel but don't want to have to ask my neighbours permission.

Anyone got a good answer?

Much appreciated

Sponsored Links
The chimney breast does form part of the paty wall and, as above, the PWA applies.
However, if you are not putting much load on it, it is not a structural issue and you needn't bother with the Act. If your bracket was to support a beam, that would be a different matter.

Sponsored Links
The only part of a chimney breast that falls under the party wall act is where the brickwork is physically built into the party wall. The party wall is the party wall, it does not extend into any attached structures.

So any work to the face of the chimney breast does not apply. You could demolish the entire front of the chimney breast just leaving the sides as piers and it still does not apply as long as you do not disturb the party wall itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back