Does this advice sound right to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've three radiators of ten in the system that don't heat up at all.

Problems that have been eliminated are air, balancing and the valves.

Just spoke to a plumber who says in that case choice is between a new pump and a powerflush.

Pump being £80 plus labour, powerflush £330 for 3 radiators.

He's recommending go for a new pump, cos that's cheaper... see if that works, and if it doesn't, then try the powerflush.

Does that sound reasonable advice? It's so difficult cos I know nothing!

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
wHAT SYSTEM IS IT and what rads dont heat up are they the furthest from boiler or just 3 in different parts of house

It is always best practise to change the pump first before going for a powerflush, along with the radiator valves, I take it the plumber has checked that the pins on the TRV end of the rads are not jammed in??

A simple powerflush tends not to do anything as there is usually a reason as to why the rads are not heating eg a blockage some place and by he time they have stopped heating the powerflush machine will not look at shifting a blockage.

There are usual places where the system chokes, point where cold feed and expansion join the system or the manifold where the rads are supplyed from if it is small bore pipe supplying the rads in question, and finally the return pipe from the hot water cylinder as it joins the return from the rads (this one is dependant on system design)

There is also no point in flushing just 3 rads. the whole system is better to be done as there will be debris floating about in the water.

An last but not least you should get a magnaclean filter fitted to collect any debris that is around in your system.

The boiler is Worcester 24cdi combi boiler.

The radiators that aren't working are all at the front downstairs of the house.
The pins on the TRV's have been checked, yes.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If you close half or more of the other rads - all of them even, do the cold ones wake up?

So... er... let him change the pump, and if that doesn't help, have him powerflush the whole system? I think he said £500 ish for that. Cripes.

If anyone would do it differently, do you have any other advice for me?
Thank you so much.

No, luke warm but not hot.

I'll have him change the pump and let's keep our fingers crossed!

May I just ask - if it's the pump, how come it heats up the other radiators, and still can't heat these ones even when they are turned off?
(Excuse my ignorance!)

Putting in a new pump wont solve the problem, as there is clearly a blockage.

No Chris, sorry I should have said - turning all the good ones off doesn't help either.

koalabear";p="1038176 said:
No, luke warm but not hot.

I'll have him change the pump and let's keep our fingers crossed!

May I just ask - if it's the pump, how come it heats up the other radiators, and still can't heat these ones even when they are turned off?
(Excuse my ignorance!)[/quot

is there other rads downstairs that get hot

Yes, one, it's in the dining room at the back of the house, that one gets lovely and hot. Cold ones are at the front - living room, hall, toilet.

Hope the bypass has been checked...could be set fully open. How's the hot water performance?....if the pump really has a problem the DHW is likely to be poor.

The hot water is fine too...

He's coming round tomorrow, I guess I'll ask him if he thinks there's a blockage and if so, what's the point of changing the pump. This is giving me a headache!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back