Does this door look right to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hi all,

Just had a new front door and side panel fitted today. Not happy about the fitting, especially the two brown spacers below the side panel. Installer reckons it is correct but it looks like a bodge to me.
Ive searched the web for pictures, including very similar installations on the installer's own website, and I can't find anything that looks remotely like this.
Also, there is a black sealing strip along the bottom outer edge of the door which doesn't actually compress against anything when the door is closed. In fact, from outside you can see the screws holding down the threshold when the door is shut.
I think the side panel was made too short and they've tried to conceal the gap at the bottom with the two brown spacers/end caps. From the inside it looks just as bad where they've tried to fill the gap with a piece of gold strip.

What do you guys think? Bodge or normal?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Never seen anything like that before .... can see no reason , other than the frame being to short for those pacers

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like they made the fixed units 10mm smaller than door frame, and are using packers to even things up.

Have you got a shot of the whole door? Looking at the pics again , looks like the door and sidepanel are one frame and that the whole door is too short , hence screws being seen through that black rubber strip too........

Never seen anything like this but I suspect it's how this company make it, the gap under the side panel will be for drainage, those little packers seem to have sculptured ends to match the profile so it would appear they're meant to be there, it's all very odd looking though

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Have you got a shot of the whole door? Looking at the pics again , looks like the door and sidepanel are one frame and that the whole door is too short , hence screws being seen through that black rubber strip too........
Hi ronniecabers, here are two more pics with door open and closed. Cheers

Never seen anything like this but I suspect it's how this company make it, the gap under the side panel will be for drainage, those little packers seem to have sculptured ends to match the profile so it would appear they're meant to be there, it's all very odd looking though
Hi crank39, perhaps you're right, but I hope not. If I'd have known, I wouldn't have chosen them. Although even if it is meant to be like that, why doesn't the door seal touch anything when the door is closed? Might as well be no seal there at all. Thanks

Where does the door not touch the seal, can you take a photo, this may be an oversight and just requires an adjustment?

image.jpeg
Where does the door not touch the seal, can you take a photo, this may be an oversight and just requires an adjustment?
This picture shows the bottom LH corner of the door, adjacent to the side panel. The seal looks way too high; about the same amount as the thickness of the two brown spacers below the side panel.

OK so if the seal isn't dragging along the gold threshold then the door sash has been packed (toe and heeled) too high, FYI this will only affect the lock side, the hinge side should be rubbing, from the last photo it does look high on the lock side, the black strip gets thinner towards the hinge side if you look

Seeing the whole door , you can see there is also a packer under the frame on the hinge side of the door. I suspect Crank is right here. Never seen a door like this before , looks like the low aluminium gold threshold continues under the side frame, hence the need for the packers for concealed drainage to work ( normally on concealed drainage the bottom of the frame overlaps the slope on the cill to allow the water out).

All looks very odd , do you know the name of the profile the fitters used?

I think the problem is the low threshold should only be the width of the door and should stop where it meets the side panel. Probably should have been made as 2 separate frames.

I think the problem is the low threshold should only be the width of the door and should stop where it meets the side panel. Probably should have been made as 2 separate frames.

I agree, it's a right weird way of doing it, WHY would you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back