Does this door look right to you?

It is normal, I have seen and fitted doors like this before.
The low threshold runs right through so that the frame can be made in one piece, Otherwise you would have to have separate door and window frames. The glass panel is already quite narrow so this would have meant making the door about 100mm narrower (70mm frame + coupler). This may also have ment that the panel would not fit in the door or at least look odd as the moldings would nearly be touching the frame.

Looks like a Liniar door, Maybe thats why I recognize this set up and the others don't.

The door may have just been wound up a bit too far as the corners seem to line up nicely.

One thing I did notice in the 1st pic is a little molded plastic bit seems to be missing. Right hand side is showing white

Sponsored Links
One thing I did notice in the 1st pic is a little molded plastic bit seems to be missing. Right hand side is showing white

I noticed this too, initially thought it had been cut but thinking about it more I believe the white end would normally be at the end and against the wall and would never be seen just like the one on the bottom of the hinge side, I bet that's white but it's against the wall so can't be seen

Guys. Thanks for all of your comments.

It is a Liniar door and profile. I note your comments about heel and toe adjustment and the seal at the hinge side does just about touch the aluminium strip. However, I got the tape measure out this morning and I reckon that if the door is adjusted to make the bottom seal consistent across the whole door width, the top lock-side corner of the door will drop below the top seal and I'll have a gap there instead.

I noticed this too, initially thought it had been cut but thinking about it more I believe the white end would normally be at the end and against the wall and would never be seen just like the one on the bottom of the hinge side, I bet that's white but it's against the wall so can't be seen

The white edge does look bad. Do you think there should be a different type of strip fitted that's designed to do a better job of it?

Sponsored Links

Looks like your correct. I think its actually the left one that is (Kind of wrong) but looks better that way.
Here is a pic of a similar one I did a few years ago:
IMG_5856_zpsstajafyu.jpg

On that one it dosent show because its a white frame. I would ask the fitters if the can tidy up the white bit that is showing with either some touch up paint or some Caramel silicone.

As for the door check if you have a draft getting through under it, A hair drier or fan would be handy for this (low heat you don't want to damage the frame).
Bare in mind that the frame/door will settle a bit over time as the weight of the panel compresses everything.
If there is a draft get them to adjust it, If not just point it out to them and say it may need adjusting at a later date.

Other than that it looks like they have done a fairly tidy job

Think I would run a bit of 35mm golden oak trim at the bottom of the side panel to cover those packers over

Think I would run a bit of 35mm golden oak trim at the bottom of the side panel to cover those packers over
It's worth a try I guess. I'm not happy with how it looks now. We had a party in the house last night and everyone who arrived said something like "New door? Very nice, but what's wrong with the bottom?".

Looks like your correct. I think its actually the left one that is (Kind of wrong) but looks better that way.
Here is a pic of a similar one I did a few years ago:
IMG_5856_zpsstajafyu.jpg

On that one it dosent show because its a white frame. I would ask the fitters if the can tidy up the white bit that is showing with either some touch up paint or some Caramel silicone.

As for the door check if you have a draft getting through under it, A hair drier or fan would be handy for this (low heat you don't want to damage the frame).
Bare in mind that the frame/door will settle a bit over time as the weight of the panel compresses everything.
If there is a draft get them to adjust it, If not just point it out to them and say it may need adjusting at a later date.

Other than that it looks like they have done a fairly tidy job

Yep. That looks the same. Seems an odd way of doing it though. We had conservatory a couple of years ago with a Liniar bifold door which is great so I had no qualms about using Liniar again. But I just think this method looks wrong. The door fitter said we weren't the first to complain.

The service engineer from the supplier is coming out tomorrow to assess it so we'll see what he says. I'll let you know.

image.jpeg
A different fitter came out today and improved it quite a lot using some extra trim. I'm a lot happier with it now.
He wouldn't adjust the door to make it seal at the bottom though. He said it closes, latches and locks very well (which it does) so he didn't want to disturb it. I'm not too sure about that but I'll see how it goes when we've had some wind and rain. If it causes a problem I'll get them out again.
Thanks to you all for your comments and advice. It was very much appreciated. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back