Does this downlight need an extra fire hood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace some downlights with these http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-satin-nickel-12v/20520#product_additional_details_container
These seem to already have a fire rated hood built in, so would I be correct in thinking that they would not need any other external hood? Also, can anyone tell me if these hoods are any good for covering other existing downlights? :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Fire-...100009&prg=10670&rk=4&rkt=10&sd=281456646769.
The downlights are in a plasterboard ceiling.
Thanks in advance....

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi RF Lighting,
I was given advice by an electrician a few months ago that all downlights should be hooded. I have a bungalow, so the top part of the downlight protrudes into the loft. I have a 2 inch space around the downlights i.e. free of installation. Also, by googling I have found references such as this : "When a hole is cut into a ceiling to mount a recessed downlight into, a potential fire hazard is created. Plaster board ceilings (for example) have a natural ability to act as a fire barrier. In any building where people maybe living or inhabiting above, the ceiling below must be fire rated. Fire rated downlights are used to restore the fire integrity of a ceiling"........"The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) recommends that fire rated downlights should be used in all ceilings, regardless of which type of building they are being installed in. "
I am currently redecorating and have taken 5 downlights out of the ceiling. These are a few years old and are not fire rated. I am really looking at the safety aspect as well as convenience as I could easily do the job now.
Thanks.

If you're in a bungalow then you 100% do not need fire rated anything.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I have read more about this now and it seems that most people agree with you that there is no need for them in this situation.

"The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) recommends that fire rated downlights should be used in all ceilings, regardless of which type of building they are being installed in. "
They are well known for their bizarre ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back