Does this immersion cylinder need replacing?

Looks like that element has been in since the 70s. May be fun to remove. Sometimes some heat can help to remove ones that are stuck. Be prepared to replace the cylinder, because some elements can be impossibly tight and may damage the flange and tear copper around it.

Sponsored Links
No element can resist me and my blowlamp and 36" stillsons. I never creased a cylinder. Those old ones without lagging are good because you can heat the top of the immersion till the washer goes bang ! without the spray lagging catching fire.

Sponsored Links
I had one last week where I have to drill out the centre, then use a hack saw blade to cut through to the side of the element. Then push in the side to remove the element. It took time but it came out in the end.

Andy

What size hole did you drill, Andy? Did the blade cut into the threaded flange on cyl a bit?

May use this method as a last ditch on the odd one that fights you all the way.

That monument tool is the best though. Great grip on element, and it seems to transmit the shock from the hammer to where it needs to be enough to crack the element loose.

I used a 6mm drill bit and a junior hack saw blade, I cut from the hole to the edge of the element. I kept checking that I was not cutting into the thread and then from the hole to the other side. Then kept tapping the thread with a hammer and screw driver until I could get it out.

Andy

couple of old photos from Seco of an immersion heater being cut

ImmersionRemoval.jpg
ImmersionRemoval2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back