Does this mean there is a leak in my wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

On Saturday I replaced the silicone sealant around my bath/shower. Neither have been used since, but when I looked at the sealant today a small hole has appeared with water around it, just under the shower (see picture).

There was a small amount of water produced when I removed the old sealant, but I assumed this was due to the sealant being old and waterlogged. I dried it off before adding the new sealant, and the hole was definitely not there when I finished.

In addition, a month ago my boiler stopped working due to low water pressure and I had to repressurise it.

Unfortunately I can't check the wall for water stains as it has some kind of plastic cladding on it.

Does all of this add up to a leak in the plumbing behind the wall? If so, do I need an emergency plumber? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm rather worried here!

PXL_20220822_073905409.jpg

Sponsored Links
It means that water got under the silicone. It was either from when the silicone was applied and there was water underneath or a little has got behind it after it was applied.

All you can really do is keep an eye on everything and any ceiling underneath in the short term.

Keep an eye on it, if you’re not using water in the area and it keeps dry, then as per Rob, water got under the sealant, if it becomes wet again, then water is getting to it from somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back