Does this mortar meet building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got concerned cus my builder keeps his left over mortar in a wheel barrow submerged in water to stop it going off then uses it again the next day.

Builder put a wall up just over a month ago and I can fairly easily scrape the mortar out with my fingernail. After 10 scrapes i've taken 5m out. Should I allow it longer to harden? Should I be worried? What can I do?

Attachments

• after.PNG
    after.PNG
    832.2 KB · Views: 48
  • before.PNG
    before.PNG
    990.9 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
I got concerned cus my builder keeps his left over mortar in a wheel barrow submerged in water to stop it going off then uses it again the next day.

Builder put a wall up just over a month ago and I can fairly easily scrape the mortar out with my fingernail. After 10 scrapes i've taken 5m out. Should I allow it longer to harden? Should I be worried? What can I do?
Is it ready-mix?

Just tell him to stop. You're the client you dictate what you are paying for, and not the builder must does what he likes.

Instruct him to use a designated mortar suitable for the type of work you are having done and your location. You'll need to specify it.

Sponsored Links
Apparently it comes in tubs freshly prepared (wet) from a supplier.

Ready-mix (tubbed gear) contains all manner of additives, that reduce the amount of cement needed and increase the shelf life of the muck. It's not unusual to see this gear still useable after a couple of days.
It rarely sets as hard as traditional s/c muck though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back