Does this need “notifying” en-suite work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

long time reader, first time poster.

The question I have is, do I need this work passing off / getting somebody to do it? regarding an ensuite refurb...

I WILL NOT be altering the lighting circuit, but I WILL be replacing all of the downlights (IP65 fire rated).
I will be removing the in-ceiling fan and replacing with an inline fan in the attic (isolator will be alongside the fan for use when fan needs maintenance)
I will be fitting electric under floor heating (in a screed, under tiles)
I would like to put a thermostat in the room for the UFH, 90cm outside of any zone 2 areas (trip will be outside the ensuite).

If this last one is an issue, then I can always mount it outside the ensuite, but would have preferred it inside because of humidity and temperature being used in an automation system.

PS location is England

Sponsored Links
The question I have is, do I need this work passing off / getting somebody to do it? regarding an ensuite refurb...
None of the work is "notifiable" - i.e. no requirement to notify the Local Authority.
However, all work should be tested so you may as well record the results. Anyone who knows how is allowed to do it.

I WILL NOT be altering the lighting circuit, but I WILL be replacing all of the downlights (IP65 fire rated).
Ok. Don't need to be fire-rated if it is your property above the room.

I will be removing the in-ceiling fan and replacing with an inline fan in the attic (isolator will be alongside the fan for use when fan needs maintenance)
Ok.

I will be fitting electric under floor heating (in a screed, under tiles)
Is it worth it?
People say it takes too long to heat up and cool down to be useful.

I would like to put a thermostat in the room for the UFH, 90cm outside of any zone 2 areas (trip will be outside the ensuite).
Ok.

Thanks for your reply.

The idea of the UFH is to just take the chill off the tiles, so no cold feet during the winter midnight toilet trip. Will be using insulation board to stop the heat going down.

Thanks for your reply.

The idea of the UFH is to just take the chill off the tiles, so no cold feet during the winter midnight toilet trip. Will be using insulation board to stop the heat going down.
Slippers are cheaper and keep feet warm.

Sponsored Links
Where in the UK are you? afaict the advice given so far in this thread is correct for England, Wales is still on the old rules which iirc made work in a bathroom notifiable, I have no idea what the rules are in scotland.

Interesting, and really don't know the answer, is under floor heating in the bathroom? Yes it seems a daft question, but items behind a bath panel which needs a tool to remove are not considered to be in the bathroom, so heating cables under floor tiles are not really in the bathroom.

It is up to the courts to decide, and courts will only decide if some one dies in the main.
522.6.5 A cable installed under a floor or above a ceiling shall be run in such a position that it is not liable to be damaged by contact with the floor or the ceiling or their fixings. A cable passing through a joist within a floor or ceiling construction or through a ceiling support (e.g. under floorboards), shall:
(i) be at least 50 mm measured vertically from the top, or bottom as appropriate, of the joist or batten, or
(ii) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned. the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346. BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436, or
(iii) be enclosed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386 and satisfying the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor, or
(iv) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085 and satisfying the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor, or
(v) be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like.
the point is earthed metallic covering. Also
554.4.4 The load of every floor-warming cable under operation shall be limited to a value such that the manufacturer's stated conductor temperature is not exceeded. Other factors can limit the maximum temperature at which the cable can be run, such as the temperature rating of any terminations or accessories. and any material with which it is in contact.
Section 753 goes into more detail, I found when I wanted to fit UFH in a wet room I could not find a chemical version with built in earth braid, and a non chemical version needs a over temperature sensor, the pocket for the over temperature sensor needs to have any bends so the sensor can be replaced, it needs a lot of thought with the design.

Interesting, and really don't know the answer, is under floor heating in the bathroom? Yes it seems a daft question, but items behind a bath panel which needs a tool to remove are not considered to be in the bathroom, so heating cables under floor tiles are not really in the bathroom.
Not in the bathroom zones ...
701.32.3 Description of zone 1
.... The space under the bath tub or shower basin is considered to be zone 1. However, if the space under the bath tub
or shower basin is only accessible with a tool, it is considered to be outside the zones.
In any event, the lower bound of all 'zones' is "finished floor level" - so, provided it didn't involve a 'new circuit', installation of UFH would not be notifiable (in England).
.... when I wanted to fit UFH in a wet room I could not find a chemical version with built in earth braid, and a non chemical version needs a over temperature sensor ....
Your software sometimes intrigues me :) Do I take it that "chemical" should be "mechanical"?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back