en-suite Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just in process of converting a section of down stairs bedroom into an en-suite (shower and Wash basin as there is a toilet outside room) and am now looking at electrical work.

All I need is the wiring for a sanishower pump and 2 x 12v extractor fan with 12v built in LED. The pump is to be installed out of the en-suite in a purpose build cupboard. Also the transformer's for both fans are installed in this cupboard with just the 12v supply going into the ceiling space.

When I had bathroom fitted the electrician fitted a secondary CU with 2 remaining slots. My plan is to fit 2 x 6amp MCB and run cable in 1.5mm to a pair of switched fuse connection units (also in cupboard) Cable from shower pump direct into 1 switch unit and to run 1.5mm cable to the 2 transformers. Estimate the cable run to be a max of 5 meters. The 12v dc power for the fans will then be run in ceiling void us 10amp automotive wire.

Still with me? Good! Right I have 2 questions. As all 240v work is outside of the wet area and insulated/shielded etc and only 12v supply going into ceiling void will this require notification? Second Question. If I carry out the work and it needs notifying can I get it done once I have carried out the work.

The crazy thing is I an qualified to work on EV/Hybrid vehicles were the voltage is MUCH higher then 240v in house wiring so certainly deem myself to be a competent person. Also there is a per-exsisting double socket in the cupboard space and I could stick a plug on the shower pump and transformers and apparently this much more dangerous wiring would be acceptable!

Any constructive advice welcome

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You really need to read the document yourself. It gives dimensions as to the limits see http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf and I see nothing about low or extra low voltage so I would think it will not matter as for as notifying goes.

The rules were that in an emergency you could do the work then notify but can't see how it would be classed as emergency work.

Just thank your lucky stars you live in England here in Wales the old rules still apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back