Does this oil pipe need bonding?

Sponsored Links
It would. However, as I said, in the case of a gas (or oil) pipe, in practice it just isn't going to happen (at least, virtually never) that there is any 'insulating section' in the pipework within the building - although, as we've agreed, it's quite possible with water pipes.
I thought the gas companies were fitting isolating sections on their (internal) meters to prevent voltages on their supply pipes without - as we are always saying - realising that that does not alter the fact that it is still their supply pipe that is the extraneous-c-p which should be bonded.

The same as for any other pipes or parts.
Indeed.
If the oil tank is plastic, it's exceptionally unlikely that the pipe needs bonding.
It's surely the routing of the pipe, not the material of the tank, which matters', isn't it?

My neighbour has an oil tank which is not only plastic, but is raised an appreciable distance above ground. However, the pipe from it to the house travels underground, so surely needs bonding?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I thought the gas companies were fitting isolating sections on their (internal) meters to prevent voltages on their supply pipes without ......
That may be true (I don't know) but my example related specifically to the situation with an outside gas meter, and there then surely would never be any 'isolating section' in the pipework within the house, would there? I don't see why a householder would ever insert such a section, and the pipe in question is not the gas company's to 'meddle with'?
.... - as we are always saying - realising that that does not alter the fact that it is still their supply pipe that is the extraneous-c-p which should be bonded.
We certainly agree about that not altering the need to bond the incoming pipe (if there is any which can be accessed) upstream of the meter and insulating section - which, if done (as required by electrical regs), obviously totally undermines the intent of the gas company's 'insulating section'!.

Kind Regards, John

Oil pipe is plastic coated and installed above ground.
A plastic tank isn't in contact with Earth anywhere.
A metal tank would be in contact with Earth, and a pipe connected to it would be electrically connected to the tank.

Oil pipe is plastic coated and installed above ground.
Whose is? My neighbour's oil pipe definitely travels underground, and the bits visible where it emerges from underground definitely don't appear to be plastic coated.
A plastic tank isn't in contact with Earth anywhere.
I obviously know what you're trying to say, but a plastic tank could obviously be in extensive contact with the ground - the important point being that such 'would not matter' (or affect decisions as to whether or not any bonding was required).
A metal tank would be in contact with Earth, and a pipe connected to it would be electrically connected to the tank.
I would suggest that you're generalising far too much. My 'other neighbour' also has an oil tank, this one metal, and in this case in a garage (which I'm not convinced is allowed/legal, but it's clearly been there for very many years!) - with its base about 3 feet above a concrete floor supported by a wooden frame.

Kind Regards, John

The person who asked about bonding.
Fair enough. I made the mistake (as may others who come across your words in the future) of thinking that your comments were general ones, rather than specific to the op's situation. My apologies.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back