Does this stooled cill need a wooden cill too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I'm creating a new window opening and have a hardwood window ready to fit along with a wet cast stone head and cill. I've tried to upload a photo to this site about 100 times bit it won't let me (so have just linked to an example on the web). So my question is this. Is it normal to have a wooden cill as well as a cast stone stooled cill or is it usually an either or situation?

stooled-cill.jpg

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't specifically need a timber cill with stone as it depends on the design. With that type you will, else water will creep under the frame as the frame can't be set back above that solid portion along the back.

Finally I've managed to add a photo of my actual materials. Woody thanks although I'm not yet 100% sure what you mean. Could the frame not just sit centered and right back on the horizontal flat edge on the top/back end of the cill?

widow_cill.jpg

It did not look like the frame could be aligned with that upstand on the cill, as then it may be too far set back in the opening. If it can, then you wont need a cill.

Sponsored Links
OK well I'm building up the jambs to match the frame I have there. If it is too set back then I'll use the wooden cill. If not happy days..

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back