Does this symbol on fuel cap mean car is petrol engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have got a courtesy car however there is no indication anywhere of if it is petrol or diesel, also there is no handbook. Tonight i was about to run out of fuel so had to top it up, I tried a diesel nozzle and it wouldn't really fit right into the hole at the bottom of the nozzle entry. Also it has this symbol on the inside of the cap, I think pb is the periodic symbol for lead so I'm assuming this is saying don't use leaded petrol and therefore the car is unleaded?

The car is a 1.2 vauxhall corsa
Thanks
20160131_202329.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the quick reply. Is this an absolute definite? As you can no doubt tell I am an idiot when it comes to cars

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for that. It states petrol thankfully. Although I suppose these things can always be wrong...... o_O

Thanks very much for that. It states petrol thankfully. Although I suppose these things can always be wrong...... o_O
Then the vehicle registration book would also be wrong as same information!!

Diesel engines and petrol engines sound different, that's a givaway. Or look for spark plugs - Only petrol engines have them!
Nozzle

Diesels have glow plugs.

What is a glow plug, it is like a spark plug but it glows instead of sparking.

If all else fails, a quick sniff at the filler neck after removing the cap should tell you. But another hint: Don't the instrument panels of diesel-engined cars always have a glow-plug warning light which comes on until the plugs have warmed up sufficiently?

Petrol fillers have a small diameter throat plus a flap that closes the orifice off.....diesels don't and it's not usually possible to get the diesel nozzle in.
Of course, it's too easy to fill up a diesel car with petrol :eek:
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back