Low Pressure Fuel Pump replaced but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some help guys.

Have a Citroen Picasso Diesel (2001). It's been running fine. The other day my wife went out in it and it ran fine. She came back to the car and it wouldn't start. It would turn over no problem but wouldn't fire up. She got the RAC out and he said it'll be the Low Pressure Fuel Pump (quite a common problem on the Picasso he reckoned). He got her to turn over the engine while he banged his hand against the bottom of fuel tank underneath the car, the car started. That confirmed his diagnosis he said.

So, just today we've had the Low Pressure Fuel Pump replaced at a local mechanics and car starts. But, there is a problem. On the dashboard, the 'Engine Auto-Diagnosis' light stays on. In the Owners Manual it says:

If it flashes or lights while the engine is running, it indicates a fault within the fuel injection, ignition or anti-pollution systems (according to country). Consult a Citroen dealer as soon as possible.
She showed the mechanic that the light was staying on. He got a guy out with some computer and they ran the computer but the light still comes on. So it's going to have to go back in he said!

The next issue is when she brought it home she said there's also a problem with the ignition. I tried it and what's happening is sometimes, when you have the engine running and then turn off the ignition, the engine keeps running for a few seconds then stops.

I'd really appreciate your help with this guys.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
need to know the fault codes that were logged when he plugged the computer in, maybe you could ask him and report back

need to know the fault codes that were logged when he plugged the computer in, maybe you could ask him and report back
He tried to stop the light coming on twice but obviously failed. They aren't aware of the 'engine running when ignition turned off' problem yet as she only discovered that problem coming back home.

I've had a search about on the net and there are a few suggestions of the engine still running probably being due to a faulty 'Stop Solenoid'.

were the old fault codes erased before the new pump was fitted?

Sponsored Links
There wasn't a fault code/warning light gregers the car just wouldn't start.

If the light is lit it will have a fault code stored, if he can't read it or extinguish it with his equipment, try another garage for the readout. Once you have cured the problem, you have to have the light reset to clear it.

;)

Thanks for the replies guys. It's STILL in the garage! The issue with it now is that it won't/can't rev properly ie when you apply the accelerator it doesn't always rev correctly (as though it's being limited).

Fed up! :(

Some diagnostic equipment will read fuel pump pressure in 'live data'. There are other causes of the engine failing to rev, such as a faulty air mass meter or blocked exhaust system for example. I still think it down to your low pressure pump though, and the RAC man was correct, this is a common fault with this model. If you erase the fault codes, it should start and rev up immediately, then it will die as the fault re-occurs and the management light comes on again.

The HDi's are prone to wearing out fuel pumps - visible as brass filings in the fuel filter on the block. It could be your problem but I'd hate anyone just to throw parts at it just for the hell of it.
Don't you just love the rescue crews method of thumping the fuel tank when its being cranked over? Priceless :p
These guys get my deepest respect. Sincerely.
John :)

They replaced the Low Pressure Fuel Pump the other day though lads. He's saying the Solenoid may be knackered now so that's being replaced tomorrow. I'll report back.

Thank you all for your input.

I HATE it when people who ask for help don't get back to tell us how things went. That being the case, this is just a quick update lads.

The car was in for about a week. After the replacement of the Pump the car wouldn't rev properly, the engine would run on when the ignition key was removed and there was a warning light on the dash. We've had the car back about a week now. As well as replacing the Low Pressure Fuel Pump (the one in the Fuel Tank), they had to renew the fuel filter, clean out the chamber and apply a fuel additive to clean the system. The replacement of the Low Pressure Fuel Pump cost £214. The additional work cost £70 so £284 all in. So far it's been fine. Hope that's the last of that.

Thank you for your input.

Fingers crossed Blas, the intermittent faults are by far the worse.
I concur with what you say about people not reporting back does my head in too.

Wotan

Hi Blas. When I read your original post about this, I did a double take. It could almost have been written by me about my daughter. She's just had exactly almost word for word (except her knight in shining armour with the big hammer was an AA man). Since getting the fuel tank fuel pump replaced, she's also got the dashboard warning light and the engine run on problem. I'm not sure whether this will get to you, (I hope so), but what was the final outcome? How did you fix the last two problems? It's already cost me and my daughter £360 (I paid her half towards it and she had a leaky wheel cylinder replaced in with that too). I'm not sure whether it's the original mechanics responsibility to put it all right?

Sponsored Links
Back