Does this Velux sun tunnel look right to you???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just having a debate with the roofer about the finished look of this 14" Velux sun tunnel with flexible tube. I confirmed with Velux that this is the correct model to use for the Marley Modern tiles so that is not an issue here.

What do you think?

In my opinion the corrugated flashing at the bottom looks ugly and too much of it is on show. I'm also not impressed with how far away the tiles are from the edges of the sun tunnel window. The 2 large gulleys either side of the window don't look great to me and don't seem to be noticeable at all on the Velux advertisement photos.

Would really appreciate some feedback if there is anyone out there who has some real life experience with fitting these things.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's a very acceptable job IMO.

The type and size of flashing is what it is, you can't change it.

The gap at the sides is good practice as it allows free drainage, ie no clogging by leaves etc. I think that Velux recommend a gap in their literature, have you checked?

All in all I don't see that you have any cause for complaint

It's fine.... The amount of free flashing showing is governed by the velux position.. you can not put them exactly where you might like...
The most you might ask for is the front apron is dressed a little tighter to the tiles..

Sponsored Links
looks a neat job to me.you trying to wriggle out of paying the guy?.is there other stuff your not happy with.

Hi,
Just having a debate

Velux advertisement photos.

Thanks.
Is it a Catslide roof, Claude :?: Advertising...can make a Grisle and Gravy pie look like it`s got a Michelin Star* not made from Michelins recycled :eek: " Nunc est Bibendum a votre sante":cool:

Either this is a wind-up or the o.p. is an idiot.

The installation is fine.

Wow, you must be really easy to wind up - I bet your mates have a field day!! Either that or you don't have the visual/mental capacity to understand what I'm talking about. Let's play a simple spot the difference game:

Velux brochure pics (ok - not exactly the same tiles but I think we can get the general idea)

My sun tunnel:

How did you do? Full marks if you spotted that a) there are no gaps either side of the window and b) there are no expanses of loose flashing flapping around on the Velux pics.

My advice - stick to the basic stuff and leave the aesthetics (sorry - this means "whether it looks nice") to those of us with an eye for detail.

Thanks for the constructive comments posted by others - whether the tunnel has been fitted properly is only part of the issue here. If you reckon that it is acceptably fitted, then it is the design of the product that is very disappointing from a company such as Velux.

This sun tunnel is low down in a really prominent position on a single storey building on full display from the front of the house - which incidentally is a £750K property. I have decided to take this one out altogether and leave the second one in which is not in such a prominent position. The roofer is trying to modify the tiles on the second one to fit over the drainage channels and maybe do some trimming of the flashing which doesn't look like it will be easy to do. I'll post a pic of the improved version when it's done.

Overall - a disappointing, second rate product that can spoil the look of the job - don't buy one!

Sorry - forgot to say that you were right about the fitting instructions saying to leave a gap. Shame the Velux fitter didn't follow his own instructions when he fitted the one for the brochure. I'd also like to know what he did with all that flashing!

Hey claude. If you don't like the FREE advice you are given then go away. You've got a £750K house so I'm sure you can afford a surveyor. :rolleyes:

:LOL: Those pics are more airbrushed than a Playboy Centerfold. I`m going to fit one to my £250k house. I might just post a pic or two of a couple of pro`s doing it. .. Nice one, Joe ;)

Damn that marketing again!

F_200705_May12ed_img_92478a.jpg

cheeseBurger7.JPG

Why should an install be any better on a 750K house than a lesser one? What a tool! You'll be thinking they installed those Velux's in a real roof next! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back