Does this water shock arrestor install look right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My neighbour has plumber in today to fix water hammer and sent me a picture showing results. Plumber fitted a water shock arrestor to main supply, but it looks as if it's just been clamped on instead of actually integrated with the pipe...

install2.jpg

Does this look right? From installations guides I've seen it shows the pipe would need to be cut, tee connector used and soldered. It doesn't look as if the pipe has been cut at all, so how would the arrestor work in this case?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not used on of those before.

But it looks like a
water arrestor with a Self-Piercing Saddle Valve.
Sfk

Ok so that's what that is, thank you. The water arrestor didn't come with the self-piercing saddle valve, so it is wise to use in conjunction with arrestor? Wouldn't this compromise the effectiveness of the arrestor, vs standard tee and solder install please?

It will work but just lazy using a saddle tee when he/she could have cut in a proper tee.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, the closest that worker has come to being a plumber, is slept with one. Will it work, yep, should do, is it correct ...hmmmmm, not in my book

That's a DIY fitting and no self respecting plumber should be using that. They are notorious for leaking when the rubber seal gets older. It's a quick fix, shudder to think how much your neighbour was charged to fit that.

I`ve never fitted one but thought they were meant to be vertical for best effect?

They can be installed at any angle but like you i'd always try for vertical or near vertical.
The saddle tee is the worst choice of fitting, of course, especially when the complaint is water hammer.
For what its worth, I've never used a saddle tee.

But the whole set-up in the pic is a mess -
For my money, using 15m as a mains is poor practice for modern plumbing.
I cant tell but I presume the service is coming up from below the 3/4" drain-off? If not then its being supplied from a
10mm tube tee'd into the odd looking arrangement just above the 3/4" drain off? Whats the black gunk?
There's another shut-off just after the saddle tee - again, more black gunk.
Was the black stuff previous attempts to seal leaks?

Here's a thing fwiw.
Back in the day on a service call to a house with teenagers and two pumped showers and a D/W and a W/M.
The complaint was that shower water was failing first thing in the morning when the kids were in the showers & mum had the machines going.
Investigation showed the house on a 15mm plastic service & 15mm Cu house mains.
Two F&E tanks in the loft were being used to 15mm supply the shower pumps.

Two large C/W tanks with 22mm drops replaced the F&E's, and mum was advised to run the machines later in the day.
Would you guys have done different?

Two large C/W tanks with 22mm drops replaced the F&E's, and mum was advised to run the machines later in the day.
Would you guys have done different?
Can't tel you ted, it's a trade secret. Stick to lime rendering.

If not then its being supplied from a
10mm tube tee'd into the odd looking arrangement just above the 3/4" drain off? Whats the black gunk?
There's another shut-off just after the saddle tee - again, more black gunk.
Was the black stuff previous attempts to seal leaks?
I see no 10mm tube.....or 3/4 d.cock. Maybe there is more than 1 cock here.

Self-Piercing Saddle Valve.
I used one of those probably 35 years ago in our first house to connect a dishwasher up. I didn’t know any better at the time, never plumbed anything. A few months later my wc started overflowing. When I stripped the fill valve down, I found the small circle of copper that these things cut, jammed in the valve. It had travelled all the way around the kitchen and into the bathroom. Mind you, I did worse. I fitted a gas fire and used compression joints all the way. I only found out they were leaking when we had central heating fitted and they tested the gas - it was dropping like a stone so must have been leaking quite bad. Whoops!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back