Does Using TRV's Reduce My Gas Bill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have TRV's fitted on all my radiators, except where the thermostat is. A guy at work was telling me it doesn't matter if I set them to 1 or 6, the boiler is still pumping through the same amount of gas until my hallway thermostat reads whatever temperature I set it to.

Can anyone help with clarifying this? If I set all radiators in my house to a lower setting, does it use the same amount of gas as if I left them at 6?

Sponsored Links
He is right and he is wrong as well.

He is right in the sense that the boiler is running to generate heat for the rads. As the rooms heat up, trvs start closing down. Boiler meanwhile does not have to work as hard, so it fires on and off or flame size reduces. Uses less gas

This is wasteful unless a room thermostat is fitted, which switched off the boiler when that particular room triggers the room thermostat to switch off.

less heat=less energy used .. quite simple really

Thank you. So using that logic, if I turn all my TRV's to 3 out of 6 except the hallway (where thermostat is, no TRV) then will my boiler use nearly half as much gas for heating?

Sponsored Links
No it doesn`t work as simple as that but you will save.
Thats a bit like saying you will use half as much petrol at 30 as you would at 60

AS the trv's shut down, the water returning to the boiler hasn't cooled as much so the boiler thermostat will cut off quicker.

You should turn the thermostat down as well !!

AS the trv's shut down, the water returning to the boiler hasn't cooled as much so the boiler thermostat will cut off quicker.

You should turn the thermostat down as well !!

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

No chance of turning the thermostat down. I have a moaning lodger. We share the bills so she can turn it up to what she likes although I have turned down all valves except for the one in her bedroom and bathroom. I have also found out some useful feautres on my Honeywell thermostat and programmed the offset to read 1'C warmer than it actually is and the max temp is set to 25'C ;).

I have also found out some useful feautres on my Honeywell thermostat and programmed the offset to read 1'C warmer than it actually is and the max temp is set to 25'C ;).

always handy when women are in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back