Remove TRV head and use lockshield to manage the flow question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have TRV on every radiator in our house with the exception of the bathroom radiator.
We have a wireless thermostat sat in kitchen extension as it's the (second) coldest room, the radiator TRV is set to 5. Every other room gets to temperature quickly, therefore the kitchen temperature set on the thermostat is kept low, at 19.5 degrees as we realise there's little use of trying to get it to 21 degrees. I have it there to protect from the temperature dipping cold in winter which it does.
I have been thinking about moving the thermostat to the lounge but need to address the issue of the room having a TRV.
The lounge heats and retains the temperature quite well, I'm considering removing the TRV head and reducing the lockshield flow, does this sound like a sensible plan?
My second concern is whether it is dangerous regarding the potential of frost damage of the coldest rooms. I suspect I may have to set the wireless thermostat to a higher minimum temperature to resolve this.
Reason for the project is to better control the lounge temperature.
Hopefully this makes sense and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The thermostat needs to be in the room which is the last to get warm and the first to get cold.

Will your wife tolerate you restricting the lounge radiator to achieve that?

Thanks for the reply, I see your point and have upped the target temperature for the kitchen a little and will review.

Sponsored Links
The thermostat needs to be in the room that you spend the most time in and the rad(s) in that room shouldn’t have a TRV. Balance the rest of the system to suit.

You can use a decorators cap in place of the TRV to mimick a manual valve and control flow and thus retain the balancing properties of the lockshield.

We have a wireless thermostat sat in kitchen extension as it's the (second) coldest room, the radiator TRV is set to 5. Every other room gets to temperature quickly, therefore the kitchen temperature set on the thermostat is kept low, at 19.5 degrees as we realise there's little use of trying to get it to 21 degrees. I have it there to protect from the temperature dipping cold in winter which it does.

That is contrary to recommendations - you should never have the thermostat in the same room as where you have a TRV controlled radiator. If there is no alternative, set the TRV to Max., or take the TRV head off.

The thing is, your kitchen temperature will be limited by the TRV, but the thermostat temperature demand, may never be met, with the result that your boiler continues to fire.

Thanks, the kitchen TRV is set to 5. The reasoning behind having the wireless thermostat in the kitchen was that it takes a long time to rise in temperature and maintain it, I thought it was better to do it that way.
Also, I have set the overnight setting down to 14.5 degrees to protect the fridge freezers.
The radiator is quite large but at times needs the help of an electric fan heater to get it up to temperature.

Thanks, the kitchen TRV is set to 5. The reasoning behind having the wireless thermostat in the kitchen was that it takes a long time to rise in temperature and maintain it, I thought it was better to do it that way.

But as said, the thermostat where a TRV is fitted, is entirely pointless. A TRV doesn't set the room temperature, rather they limit the room temperature.

Thanks, but my thoughts are leaving it set to 5 was effectively leaving it open? I could hopefully just take off the head.

Is the radiator sufficient for the room volume?
Is the pipe run of sufficient sze to feed the radiator?

I'm not sure to be honest, it's about 180cm wide, 60cm tall and double thickness. It does get extremely hot and seems to lose little heat either end. The extension is reasonably sized, it also incorporates the small kitchen dining room so has a task on its hands.
Part of the problem is the inability of the room to retain the heat too, therefore we don't sit in there much.
Whilst I was thinking of moving the wireless stat into the living room and removing the Trv head, I suspect that the heating will barely be on due to the living room being up to temperature quickly whilst the extension will barely heat up.
Thanks for everyone's input, I will leave it as it is and suppliment the extension with an electric fan as necessary.

Thanks for everyone's input, I will leave it as it is and suppliment the extension with an electric fan as necessary.

Rather than an electric fan heater, try having the fan heater blow cold, but directed up through the radiator. It will increase the heat loss of the radiator/help warm the room.

Thanks for the advice, I had considered a small usb powered fan for underneath the radiator, particularly this type as small form and hopefully not too noisy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back