Wireless room thermostat & Harms of no room thermostat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My Grannies boiler is a Vaillant turboMAX combination boiler.

All the radiators have TRV's on them which results in the boiler cycling quite a bit.

We need to get a wireless room thermostat fitted, we don't want to fit a programmable type because Granny is after a simple solution and is happy with the built in timer.

Recommendations please.

Also the radiators on the system are huge and the flow temperature needs to be set at a maximum of 55 degrees on the coldest days, doesn't this case the boiler to condense when it's not supposed to?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i know the drayton digistat has changed desig recently but they dig used to make a straightforward remote roomstat.

drayton wireless stat and receiver have been around years and give very little trouble.

when the boiler's condensing it's more efficient.

Sponsored Links
I know it's efficient, but because it's not a condensing boiler it's not supposed to condense is it?

I thought by it condensing the HE might start to corrode because of the acidic condensate produced.

All the radiators have TRV's on them which results in the boiler cycling quite a bit.
The radiator near the thermostat should not have a TRV. If you don't want to change it, just remove the head. It looks a bit ugly but, if you leave it on, someone may fiddle with the valve control and stop the wall thermostat doing its job.

We need to get a wireless room thermostat fitted,
Honeywell Y6630D. It's a dial type - not digital.

if it's not a condensing boiler it won't be condensing. the temperature of the products of combustion coming out of a condensing boilers flue is around 50-60 degrees, a normal boiler it's 100+. the flue on a condensing boiler has to slope back to the boiler, on a conventional boiler (unless vertical flue) it doesn't so it doesn't get the condensation in there.

I don't know what went through the installers head when installing radiators, they are absolutely huge.

I don't know what went through the installers head when installing radiators, they are absolutely huge.

Better than being too small, you can always turn it down if its too hot, thats why you want a room stat right??

You can get simple wireless digital stats, like the drayton, once its set up you can you push the up or down arrows to change the temp.... next day or time setting it just reverts back to your default setting.... simple.

Its not a condensing boiler... so lets leave that one eh?!

I have had quite a few problems with wireless draytons, they can be very sensitive to certain wireless routers.
Honeywells don't seem to have that problem and are also much more user friendly. If you want to change the set temp, you just press + or -.

Have heard good things about the Siemens units and plan to install 3 next week. If you can wait that long, I will keep you posted

why have you decided on a wireless stat?
Not a bad idea, but you could probably buy and fit a simple wall-mounted, dial-type, wired one for a tenner or so in not much time. Then when you splash out on a wireless one you can probably use the same cable at the boiler end.

You need to identify what sort of timer or programmer you already have, then you can get a wiring diagram from the manufacturer or their website, and you will see how to connect the stat. It is usually very simple.

Pensioner so basically want a large display and a simple knob to turn up and down .
The siemens wireless roomstat (as oppossed to progammable roomstat) is really basic and simple to use and is only about 45 quid

if it's not a condensing boiler it won't be condensing. the temperature of the products of combustion coming out of a condensing boilers flue is around 50-60 degrees, a normal boiler it's 100+. the flue on a condensing boiler has to slope back to the boiler, on a conventional boiler (unless vertical flue) it doesn't so it doesn't get the condensation in there.

We are in the process of making the whole system work perfectly, we also need to change the current flue to a vertical flue. The flue installation at current is wrong as our installer told us.

Better than being too small, you can always turn it down if its too hot, thats why you want a room stat right??

You can get simple wireless digital stats, like the drayton, once its set up you can you push the up or down arrows to change the temp.... next day or time setting it just reverts back to your default setting.... simple.

Its not a condensing boiler... so lets leave that one eh?!

The house does not overheat, we want to install a thermostat because it should have one and it's more efficient.

I had seen a wireless stat which had "one touch setback", I thought this would be ideal since she leaves the heating on 24/7 and puts it low at night.

https://supreme1.sslpowered.com/cgi...g_Controls/Drayton_Thermostats.txt&item=00006
.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back