A wireless room thermostat and a conventional boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First off I am not a plumber nor am I going to attempt any DIY on my central heating system.

I am considering having a wireless room thermostat fitted to my old conventional boiler and would like to know what options I have before I call a heating engineer.

There is currently no room thermostat fitted to my system.

The house has a Glowworm hideaway 50B boiler running 11 radiators.

All radiators are fitted with a TRV apart from the one in the bathroom.

The boiler also supplies the domestic hot water which is stored in a hot water cylinder in an upstairs airing cupboard.

The airing cupboard also contains a pump, a valve and a honeywell controller for the timing of hot water and central heating.

My questions are:-

1. Would there be any advantage in fitting a wireless room thermostat?

2. Would the action of the thermostat on the boiler operation have any detrimental effect on the boiler?

4. If it is viable to fit the room thermostat do I keep the TRVs'?

3. Is there a reason why a room thermostat might not have been fitted in the first place?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. Would there be any advantage in fitting a wireless room thermostat?
Yes, you don't need to run a cable to the thermostat (sender) position.

2. Would the action of the thermostat on the boiler operation have any detrimental effect on the boiler?
No. It's just a switch.

4. If it is viable to fit the room thermostat do I keep the TRVs'?
The one in the same room as the thermostat will no longer be necessary.

3. Is there a reason why a room thermostat might not have been fitted in the first place?
Cheapness.

1) Yes, savings on gas consumption - even more important on an older boiler.

2) No

4) Yes, but either remove the head of the TRV on the rad(s) where the stat is fitted, or leave it turned to max. This will stop the TRV and stat conflicting with each other over heat control in the same room/area.

4) Stats often weren't routinely fitted in the old days, as gas was cheaper and climate change hadn't been invented.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back