What Is Wireless Room Thermostat Responding To ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to the Forum and am about to show my ignorance of central heating systems, but please bear with me.
I recently had my 20 year old boiler replaced with a Vaillant combi boiler.
The central heating system is controlled from a wireless programmable room thermostat situated in my living room. The only radiator I have used since installation of the combi boiler is the one situated in the living room. I keep the doors to the living room closed when the system is in use in order to minimise the firing of the boiler and my gas bill.
Now to the point of this post: If the boiler is only firing in response to the temperature in my living room (with doors shut), what will happen when I put the heating on in the upstairs bedrooms ? Will the boiler have to fire more often to provide hot water to the upstairs radiators even though the wireless thermostat in the living room will only be responding to the temperature set for the living room, therefore increasing my gas bill ? My gut answer is "Of course it will". But is this true?

Sponsored Links
At the moment if the upstairs radiators are off no hot water will be flowing through them. When you open the valves (or TRV's) and assuming that the thermostat in the lounge is calling for heat, hot water from the boiler will flow through them and heat will be emitted into the upstairs rooms. The cooler water leaving the radiators will then go back to the boiler to have the heat just lost replaced. This as you assume will use more gas.

your upstairs rooms will stay on until your roomstat is satisfied,unless you turn the trv`s down

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back