Dog wee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh, my first post in the gardening section. :D

Ok our puppy chocolate lab (male) is doing the squatting thing in the garden (till he learns how to do it up a tree) and its burning the grass real bad.

I just wondered, other than soaking it in water if I saw him do it, is there any kind of lotion or potion I could put on the grass to make it green again?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Sponsored Links
He won't do it up a tree until his willy can be seen from the side sticking past the front of his back leg, (TMI?) they're usually about 10 months old by that time. How old is he now?
Unless you pick him up and carry him to an area where it's ok for him to pee, he'll pee as soon as he can, which means on your grass.

wash with plenty of water. Another thing to try is a dog pit. basically an area of soil and sharp sand about a foot deep, that he can dig in and pee in. train him to use it by giving him a treat everytime he uses it.

We've never had a problem with Male Dog wee, it's always been Female Dog Wee that kills the grass, we've also found as they get older it gets stronger.

We currently have a 15 year old Female Lab, and an 11 year old Female Lab so it's not doing our lawn any favours!

I've searched for a cure and the only thing I've found is to dillute it down with water as soon as they've done it, the problem with this is we often leave the dogs out or leave them with access to go in and out so we don't know they've gone sometimes.

Sponsored Links
I heard on GQT that you can make the dog urine less harmful by adding a couple of tablespoons of Tomato Juice to its food each day.

I heard on GQT that you can make the dog urine less harmful by adding a couple of tablespoons of Tomato Juice to its food each day.

Well this morning he managed to eat some dried Uncle bens rice that he pinched out of an open cuboard so eager to see the results! :D

It's surprising that GQT let that one through, it's proven to be a dangerous solution.

The idea behind Tomato juice is that the dog takes on board more salt, as a result drinks more water which in turn leads to them effectively diluting their own urine.

Adjusting the salt intake of any animal can be dangerous and should never be encouraged without consultation from a vet first. Man's best friend suffering from bladder stones or a patchy lawn?

The only sure fire and safe ways to combat the problem is to dilute with water after every 'lawn evacuation' or use the pit technique.

If the OP goes the pit route make sure to take the dog/b.itch to the pit as soon as it's been prepared. Hold their back legs and rub their paws in a backward rubbing motion over the sand. The next time they **** they should return to the pit. If for any reason they don't just lay a sheet of newspaper over the pit and rub their paws over that.

are you sure about the salt intake? I understood the acid juice reduces the alkaninity of the urine.

like people with cystitis drink fuit juice.

are you sure about the salt intake? I understood the acid juice reduces the alkaninity of the urine.

like people with cystitis drink fuit juice.

Urine burns on lawns have nothing to do with pH. It's the Nitrogen content of Urine which causes the scorching effect.

A vet explained to me the pitfalls of the salt increase technique. That's why I'm surprised GQT let the question be answered. Theoretically it will work, but potentially at the expense of the dog. Probably a rumour started by the marketing department at Campbells.

It is true that if you can get them to drink more then their wee is less corrosive to the grass, but I wouldn't use anything like tomatoe juice to increase that.

Wee has been the least of our problems today, our younger dog decided to steal a dozen eggs off the side last night and ate the lot raw including shells. So that's been coming out the rear end all day and it doesn't look or smell nice at all. I've been washing that off the grass with the hose all day :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back