Dogey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1935 semi with cavity walls all around, 4 years ago my neighbour built an extension to the rear of his property he was purportedly a builder by trade ( but really a P***head by profession). It took some 18 months to build and I was never happy with the finish as the noise levels increased. unbeknown to me the house was sold so I approached the new owners with the problems. They were quite unresponsive and in fact in denial. I would be grateful for any advise.

Problems: cavity wall now has blast of air throught it (my side has full cavity insulation with "pillows" to stop the insulation falling out where the houses join, I have also tested my side by sealing all the air bricks)

Noise:
I can clearly hear next door talking, this they do not believe even though one evening I called round and quoted them word for word.

I have video evidence from the cavity side that cavity closers have not been used just 12mm pine board. also that where electrical outlets have been installed on the adjoining cavity wall the wall has been breached, the neighbours answer to this one was "I've built a wardrobe there so it won't matter"

Sponsored Links
Ask your local Building control to see if they issued a completion notice that it was finished to current regs.

Pete

Hi Pete
approached building control, who did not really want to know until I hit them with a FOI for the drawings.
However this did not get me very far as they stated as it was over a year it was no longer their responsiblity. however during the conversation it was let slip that the previous owner had not requested a completion certificate, so they issued one after 2 years to close the file. I tried forcing their arm but to no avail. I think now I am going to take the dirty route and request that their mortgage provider carry out the work or face court, this should move thing as the mortgagee has a duty to the titleholder to keep the property in good repair. It's a dammed shame they could probably rectify everthing for £200.
many thanks for your reply. will probably chat again as I am now undertaking my own project, however this will be done properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back