Filling a cavity on a side extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a single story, flat roof, side extension to the main house, approximately 9m x 4m.

When we were building it (both house and extension were built at the same time) I did not think, and did not block off the cavity wall which is really an internal wall.

That means there will be cold air circulating from the surrounding cavity walls and taking away heat.

I would like to block off this internal cavity so it does not communicate with the adjacent external cavity walls.

Here are some photos

The first photo shows the cavity wall from the main house. There are two doors leading to the flat roof section. I can look into the cavity from there.

The second photo shows a photo I took from the door into the cavity.

I am thinking to get a foam spray company to fill it in for me. But it may be very expensive.

Attachments

• 2023-05-16 08_55_40-20230515_082020.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    2023-05-16 08_55_40-20230515_082020.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 2023-05-16 08_57_36-20230515_081729.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    2023-05-16 08_57_36-20230515_081729.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Fill it with insulation.

How do you build a house and an extension at the same time, isn't it just a house?

Blup

Fill it with insulation.
Not easy there are wall ties everywhere and the access is quite narrow, that is why I thought of using spray foam. But I would need quite a lot, so I'd need some sort of industrial machine, if there was one for hire.

How do you build a house and an extension at the same time, isn't it just a house
It is a flat roof structure tacked on the side of the house, under the gables. So it looks like an extension, even though they were built together.

Drill a few holes up the sides and spray some canned foam in.

Sponsored Links
If you have cold air circulating between internal cavity walls and external cavity walls, you've built the house wrong anyway, and should be dealing with that.

Drill a few holes up the sides and spray some canned foam in.
That is exactly what I will do as i was quoted ridiculous prices for a gap fill...

It is about £5 per can of foam. I wonder why they do not sell larger bottles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back