Dogs death Nottinghamshire Pc guilty of cruelty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A police dog handler who left two animals to die from heatstroke has been found guilty of animal cruelty.

Pc Mark Johnson, 39, left the German Shepherds in temperatures of 29.3C (84.7F) in June last year when parked at Nottinghamshire Police headquarters.

He told Nottingham magistrates he was suffering from depression and obsessive compulsive disorder when he forgot to check the dogs for seven hours.

He was given a six-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £2,500.
His 'obsessive compulsive disorder' didn't stretch to him being obsessively compulsive about checking on the dogs though did it? He 'forgot' to check the dogs for SEVEN HOURS!!!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8528878.stm

Sponsored Links
Should also have been banned for life from keeping animals! :evil:

funny how his bosses never knew he was suffering from depression??

Sponsored Links
Thats a long time in that temparature, even if the windows were slightly open they might have lived , I think it was totally closed to the air in this case.

He definitley had something wrong with him, a lack of sympathy :mad: .

Thats a long time in that temparature, even if the windows were slightly open they might have lived , I think it was totally closed to the air in this case.

He definitley had something wrong with him, a lack of sympathy :mad: .
Or lack of a brain perhaps?

He should never be allowed to work with, or own dogs again.

Policemen are supposed to have a high level of disparate attention, what he did was unforgivable.

Wotan

but oh how he is suffering, suspended on full pay, watch and see he will resign 24 hrs before his disciplinary hearing so he can claim his pension

As much as I'm not a lover of canines nor their owners, this was truly a tragedy and cruelty by neglect by both the handler and his employers.

What I find equally disturbing is how someone who was suffereing from depression as well as OCD should be in the post of acting police officer. Clearly his judgement would have been severely impaired (as has been demonstrated), and one cannot help but wonder whether he was potentially a danger and a nuisance to the public.

Regardless of what his penalty was, his line managers need to be investigated for their own competence as a matter of some urgency.

Clearly his judgement would have been severely impaired (as has been demonstrated), and one cannot help but wonder whether he was potentially a danger and a nuisance to the public.

Regardless of what his penalty was, his line managers need to be investigated for their own competence as a matter of some urgency.
He wasn`t the same " shiny Buttons " one was he :?: That seems like OCD

I do have a little sympathy with him.

I am very busy at work - I can be wanted in 3 places at once. I get shouted to the tills, forget what I was doing, and start something else. Then later I go back and find my mess I was in the middle of, and remember!

Clearly in this guys case though, his forgetfullness caused the death of 2 dogs :(

I do have a little sympathy with him.

I am very busy at work - I can be wanted in 3 places at once. I get shouted to the tills, forget what I was doing, and start something else. Then later I go back and find my mess I was in the middle of, and remember!

Clearly in this guys case though, his forgetfullness caused the death with suffering of 2 animals, which were totally reliant upon him :mad: :(
He just didn't give them the importance living creatures such as pet dogs deserve, for that reason he has to be accountable, he couldn't have just forgot them, at that time we had a heat wave if IRC correctly, he just kept delaying seeing them untill it fit in with his timetable, and the poor animals perished with thirst, sad, but then hey humans are doing even worse to each other as we speak :eek: .

he just kept delaying seeing them untill it fit in with his timetable

No, he didnt. This was my point. He kept getting distracted by other issues and simply "forgot" about the dogs. Its not like he was doing other jobs and thinking "i'll see to the dogs afterwards".

He knew the dogs needed moving, but just forgot.

We have all forgotten a job until it was too late. Happens to the best of us. But in this case it had tragic consequences.

Theres a distinct difference, IMO between "forgetting" and "putting off"

So it's acceptable to forget your kids and let them die?

Sponsored Links
Back