doing up the floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to get rid of the carpet in a cottage living room. the floor underneath is in lovely nick as far as i can tell. No broken boards, and gaps of less than 1mm.

i really, really don't want to take a big belt sander to it. too much hassle, and the ceiling timbers are wiggly, as are the walls, so a pristine "as new" floors would look a bit out of place.

from searching round old posts i've come to this:

knock in any prominent nails that could catch on bare feet
light sand to remove splinters
"wash" with white spirit and wire wool
3 coats of ronseal coloured floor varnish

does this sound sufficient to do the job?
are such small gaps (1mm) still going to need to be filled to prevent drafts?
also am i going to ruin the character of the floor timbers by using such a tough finish?

TIA

Anna

Sponsored Links
annajl said:
from searching round old posts i've come to this:

knock in any prominent nails that could catch on bare feet
light sand to remove splinters
"wash" with white spirit and wire wool
3 coats of ronseal coloured floor varnish

does this sound sufficient to do the job?
are such small gaps (1mm) still going to need to be filled to prevent drafts?
also am i going to ruin the character of the floor timbers by using such a tough finish?

You're on the right track :D although I would use the white spirit very carefully and only on 'greasy' spots.

If you fill the small gaps then:
a) you might prevent necessary ventilation
b) will have to re do the job over and over again, because the boards will shrink and expand during the seasons and your filler might fall through

Concerning the finish material: if you would go for HardWaxOil (natural) you will keep the 'old' character of the boards, plus have a tough enough wear and tear layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back