domestic electrical installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im new to this forum so here goes im par p registered with 17 th ed and all that and im waiting for niceic registration assesment im doing cons unit at my house for this but im a bit confused about the amps per phase on the certificate can anyone hep me with 1 can i measure it and 2 the per phase thing does that mean it a test between live to neutral and spilt the result???????might sound really stupid but you dont ask you dont get an answer right :oops: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Per phase - do you not know what a phase is? It's not a neutral.

A standard domestic dwelling will be single phase.
Some larger dwellings, commercial and industrial premises will be three phase.

It's asking for the maximum demand per phase.
Do you know how to come to a maximum demand figure?

Are you really ready to carry out electrical work and an initial inspection with the NICEIC?
I'm not blaming you, more a case of the fast-track courses that generate so called 'qualified electricians'. There should be no fast-track to competency.

like i said really stupid question ive been working along with building control for a while doing installs and they dont like part p lads putting it in the cert which is why i was wondering about this was just trying to understand the amps per phase can you expalin idiot style and ill probably go OH THATS WHAT THAT IS like a silly fool

Its maximum demand per phase after diversity has been applied, now you can either use the diversity tables in the onsite guide and get a figure which errs on the high side, or you can apply a bit of engineering judgement and look at size of the properly, what fixed loads are installed (electric cooker/shower etc) and come up with a rough figure yourself... its not an exact science..

On a bigger install it might be necessary to clamp the tails* if its a PIR or alteration (its its a fresh install, you ask the designer ;) )

*which reminds me, I have not seen my clamp meter since i lent it to someone :evil:

Sponsored Links
....im par p registered with 17 th ed and all that .... im a bit confused about the amps per phase ... and 2 the per phase thing does that mean it a test between live to neutral and spilt the result? ...
leg pull.

:rolleyes: not sure what the leg pulls about but thanks anyway :p i do agree that there should not be fast track sparks but i only wanted this for my own knowlegde build up thanks guys no doubt i will be back

:rolleyes: not sure what the leg pulls about but thanks anyway :p i do agree that there should not be fast track sparks but i only wanted this for my own knowlegde build up thanks guys no doubt i will be back

You're only doing this for your own knowledge build-up but you've applied to be a NICEIC DI?

What did you learn in those 5 days by the way?

swes - when you speak do you carry on and on and on, with no pauses whatsoever, until you are forced to stop because of lack of breath?

And Part P, by the way, is part of the Building Regulations - there's no more such a thing as "part p lads" than there are "Part A lads" in the building trade.

may i ask please if you thought ther original asker was not a bona fida person why did you answer his questrions ??? surely in some cases you will get a complete div killing himself or some one else when he thinkshe now has the knowledge and charges some one and kills them?????

may i ask please if you thought ther original asker was not a bona fida person why did you answer his questrions ??? surely in some cases you will get a complete div killing himself or some one else when he thinkshe now has the knowledge and charges some one and kills them?????

Who's that aimed at? JohnD? If so, he only made one single post.

If someone chooses to act on information provided here and kills themselves as a result of being incompetent, that's their fault for undertaking work that they didn't have the necessary skills to complete. A couple of posters have already made hints to the OP in this regard.

We occasionally see posts where it's clear that providing information would be to put someone in immediate danger, and when that's the case, we'll usually advise they get a qualified spark in.

That said, let's not forget that this is a DIY forum, and the OP is asking for information pertaining to installing a new CU in his house.

it was not aimed at any one at all it was an enquiry that was all. i have seen some tight people on here who dont want to get a tradesman in and some people who in my opinion do not have a clue but some one gives them an answer i just wondered why . no digs at any one as i have been on a job where some one was working with 2nd hand knowledge and was doing a really bad job but as he said i'll know better next time ..... no thought of the people he was working for now and charging very good money and the crap job he left at there house knowing that next time he will do better !!!

ok this is my situation im no sparky im a paramedic with little electrical knowledge i dont want to kill people. all i want to do is do some domestic electrical work at home and im well prepared to pay to get niceic assesed for my wife and childrens saftey unlike some sparks ive seen who will do minor works with out dishing out mw certs and that to me is neglect alone . this will prove that i can do this or not as mabye the case..For some of you posters who obviously knows EVERYTHING ;) ;) :rolleyes: mabye one day youll need a difribulator i can use that you cant!!!!

Hi im new to this forum so here goes im par p registered with 17 th ed and all that and im waiting for niceic registration assesment

ok this is my situation im no sparky im a paramedic with little electrical knowledge

I assumed you had completed a 5 day course to become an electrician and was awaiting a vist from the NICEIC to enrol on their self assessment scheme as a Domestic Installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back