Route to becoming Domestic Installer with NIC EIC

I don't think you need 2 different sites, you just have to:

make available for inspection sufficient domestic electrical installation work to enable an assessment to be completed

You need 2 different sites. On my 1st year with them i thought i could show them 2 jobs @ one site but the assessor said we needed 2 different supplies to test and had to ring his own helpline to confirm.

Sponsored Links
I'll try and give you ball park figure of what'll cost you in your situation to join a scheme, using Elecsa as that's the route I know:

Elecsa fees - £440
Insurance - £120 (first year assumed)
DI qualification - £700
17th Edition wiring regs - £400
2392 Inpsection & testing - £500 (if you can't test, you can't join)
Test equipment - £400 (min)
Books - £100 (BS7671, OSG, EGBR, GN3, EAWR)

That £2800 or so is just the basics, there's obviously plenty more consumables to add.
Subsequent years will be cheaper of course but that's a big outlay if you're only planning on doing 2-3 notifiable jobs a year :)
If he's renovating properties as a business (must be - surely can't be moving house 2-3 times a year) he should have liability insurance anyway.

If he's doing electrical work as part of a business he should have test equipment anyway, and the books.

Does the EAL DI NVQ cost £700 at a college?

Ditto 2382? (Although that should be obtainable without needing to pay for any training - what does just sitting the exam cost?)

2392 - do all the schemes ask for this?

He should have test equipment & books, chances are he hasn't though.

My local college (Uxbridge) charge £650 for 2392, £395 for 2382 (full course) or £213 for the update course & £745 for the EAL.
In comparison, a reputable commercial training centre charge £525 - 2392, £495 & £175 for the 2 2382 variants & £785 for EAL, I'm sure they're available cheaper but I never found anyone considerably cheaper when I was looking to enrol.
I know you can just do the 2382 test on it's own if needed (if you fail for instance) but I've never investigated it & whilst it's not a difficult exam to be fair I don't think it's possible to pass without a decent understanding of the regs, you'd need the update course as a min.
A 2392 (or any other testing) qualification isn't a requirement, but being able to isolate & test correctly is and the best way to make sure you can do that is by doing the 2392, it's another easy exam & course but at least you learn the correct procedures.
He could try one of the 'skills update' courses available (c£225) as they cover testing but I'm not sure how thorough they are considering the courses generally last about 2 days and have lots of other stuff to get through :)

Given some knowledge of basic electrical theory, you can just do 2382 just by reading the regs, no need for a course - I did. It's an open book multiple choice and really only checks that you know your way around the book.

Sponsored Links
Yo.

I guess that without training you might not be able to post a scan of your results here showing 100%, but you should have no trouble comfortably passing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back