Recently registered NIC Domestic Installers - help please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've received my registration pack to register with the NIC Domestic Installer Scheme. My 2 assessments are going to be, replacing my own CU & moving a socket in my mums house. Phoned the NIC today to check what paperwork I need to fill out when doing the testing. They said I need the green certs or photocopy the one out my regs book, but I was thinking I could download & print the blank sample version on the NIC website & use that. Would that be ok do you think ?

The other issue was, do I have to notify the LABC to replace the CU. The NIC said I had to, but when I phoned the LABC they said put in an application but because an assessor was coming out to witness the test I probably wouldnt need to involve the LABC (I couldnt really get a definate yes or no out of the person I was speaking to). I dont want the assessor to turn up on the day & say "have you notified the LABC" & when I say "no" he fails me straight away!

Do I also need an written Health & Safety document ?

Can anyone offer some advice please. :)

I spent about half a day on the phone trying to get through to the NIC & LABC. I can't see how they can justify charging so much.

Sponsored Links
You should notify the LABC the fact that the NIC see it on your assement doesn't really change other things (other than the fact that the BO might consider it not worth worrying about because you'll know if you have cocked it up when the NIC bloke turns up....)

In reality the NIC guy is not going to be interested if BC was notified (and if he does ask for some strange reason... lie!), and you can either leave it as that, or if you want to be above board and politically correct, then when you are registered, write out the certs with a new date and notify it through your new membership :LOL:

But yes, to be correct you should submit a building notice...

To me it`s a prime example of a guy trying to do the right thing and being given differing answers by those who should know better.
Not that I`m blaming either LABC or NIC on this one.
LABCs answer is probably the most practical solution in this case , however NIC is almost certainly the correct one.
Pity you can`t get them both in a room and come to a reasonable agreement.
You don`t want to lose your NIC fees before you start and I can see the worry.
Just prior to Part P becomming law you could have used the 3 months grace to your advantage.
I feel for you.
The only certain way is to notify LABC to cover your ass, if LABC are being problematical then advise the NIC accordingly just to demonstate you`ve done all you can.
Sorry if this is not helpfull

Cheers for the advice

I think the NIC would be better off giving you a list of jobs you could do for your assessment with a bit of info to back it up. I really am dissapointed with the help I've got so far from the NIC since I passed my exam. I can see why there are a lot of cowboys out there cause they just cant be assed with the hassle.

Sponsored Links
Phoned the NIC today to check what paperwork I need to fill out when doing the testing.

Go to IEE site and use the down loadable certs there.
http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/Forms_2004.pdf

The other issue was, do I have to notify the LABC to replace the CU.

Yes I would just in case seen as NIC said it would be best to.

Do I also need an written Health & Safety document ?

You can download this from the nic website + the complaints policy + meter calibration sheet, I wasnt asked for these on the first year assessment but have been on subsiquent assessment.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/downloads.html

You'll need to show proof of £2mill PLI + copies of, osg, BS7671,EAW,part P doc.
Take it slow dont be afraid to ask questions & make sure the jobs your showing are spot on such as.
Equip bonds in place and adequate sized.
All certs filled out correctly.
Double check the test results.
Make sure you know how to undertake circuit tests.
Know safe isolation (remember to check voltage indicator on a known source, IE martindale prooving unit or live side of cu main switch).
You'll be asked questions where the answeres are in 7671/osg or you'll know them off the top of your head.
On the cu change the favorite one is to check that the cu meets IP4x so watch those cable entries into cu, if it's on a TT system the assessor will quiz you on the rcd set up (s type rcd main switch + split load).

But remember dont panic take your time and remember if unsure ask & offer him/her a brew before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back