domestic electrical installation

I assumed you had completed a 5 day course to become an electrician and was awaiting a vist from the NICEIC to enrol on their self assessment scheme as a Domestic Installer.
I couldn't work out what to assume from this:
im par p registered with 17 th ed and all that and im waiting for niceic registration assesment

ok this is my situation im no sparky im a paramedic with little electrical knowledge i dont want to kill people. all i want to do is do some domestic electrical work at home and im well prepared to pay to get niceic assesed for my wife and childrens saftey
Full marks for wanting to skill up etc, but registering with a competent person scheme is a bit OTT.

Firstly if you have little electrical knowledge you'll struggle to pass the assessment anyway.

Secondly, registration is for businesses. It's expensive - as well as the actual assessment and membership fees you'll need PLI, and you'll never get back the costs of registering in savings on Building Control fees. You'll need to ensure that you get a checking regime in place for your test equipment (out of interest which make(s)/model(s) did you go for?).

And what will you do when the annual re-assessment rolls around? You can't keep showing the same job you did years beforehand, so unless you plan to make constant rewiring of your house, and those of friends and family, a hobby you won't be able to keep your registered status.

Get trained, get some qualifications, get and learn to use a set of test equipment, but trying to register with NICEIC is not a good move.

Sponsored Links
swes nearly every time i work live i get defibulated its part of the rob :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ok ok i get all your points thankyou ill take it on board .........just out of interest though?? although i will get a spark in for this i need to have the meter tails extended to raise my new board out of reach as it is only 12 inches of the ground. I want to add a isolation switch .Will the local supplier put this in . if so anyone know a rough cost????

why do you want to add an isolation switch before the meter ????

just out of interest though?? although i will get a spark in for this i need to have the meter tails extended to raise my new board out of reach as it is only 12 inches of the ground. I want to add a isolation switch .Will the local supplier put this in . if so anyone know a rough cost????
Whether, given the ESQCR & Electricity Act, they should do it is one thing, but in reality that is just the sort of job a domestic electrician will have to do.

im waiting for niceic registration assesment
Have you actually applied and sent off the cheque yet?

ok ok i get all your points thankyou ill take it on board .........just out of interest though?? although i will get a spark in for this i need to have the meter tails extended to raise my new board out of reach as it is only 12 inches of the ground. I want to add a isolation switch .Will the local supplier put this in . if so anyone know a rough cost????

I don't know about any of the other suppliers but if you're with British Gas, call the MAST team on 0800 3161779. They installed an isolator switch for me for £30.76 which seems like a bargain to me.

why do you want to add an isolation switch before the meter ????
i dont :rolleyes: i want it before the cons unit as im am switching the power off it seems the best thing to do ....just in case it needs to be isolated again, ????for any other reason, seems like a fair point to me... :LOL: :LOL:

i want it before the cons unit as im am switching the power off it seems the best thing to do ....just in case it needs to be isolated again, ????for any other reason, seems like a fair point to me... :LOL: :LOL:
Unless you plan to regularly swap your CU or main tails then this will be a pointless addition. ;)

If you're adding further CU's and want a single point of isolation then fair enough...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back