Domestic premises : loft wiring

Even if not damaged (i.e. I can see how the right combination of cable size and clip size could have cables on edge held in place by clips but not under any pressure), if they're like that wouldn't you have to consider grouping factors?

Sponsored Links
Dingbat, its hard to contain your dissappointment when you are advised on how to do a pucker job, spend lots of time and effort doing it, and then find someone saying its an incorrect method of installation.

As for building control - what a flippin joke they are. Not that I would have been at all happy if they had said it would all have to come out and be done again!!

You have little option but to clip it to the edge of the joist, and derate accordingly.

Tray for the whole loft is a bit overkill.
How much are you likely to need?

50mm tray is how much per m?

I don't like to see cables clipped to the top of joists as there is too much risk of them being trodden on / having stuff dumped onto them.
I guess people would be less likely to tread on a cable tray, but that wouldn't help with stuff being dumped on them. With the type of loadings likely in a domestic loft, what's the longest unsupported run of cable tray you can have? Would it be feasible to run it parallel to but between the joists?

Galv trunking on top of the joists?

Or what about slotted angle strip (e.g. Dexion) fixed to the side of the joists, with the horizontal surface above the level of the insulation and the cables clipped to that? Again wouldn't help with stuff, but would with the treading on..

I think clipping to side of joist near the top is OK.

Doesn't get trampled on, and for the most common loft cables, lighting, derating due to insulation does not require a larger CSA. However electric shower cables neeed more thought.

Sponsored Links
...or 101 if the insulation exceeds 100mm

Here is another simple method to keep cables tidy in the loft.

cables.jpg

You could have used clips the same colour as the cable

How many shades or grey does T&E come in? Loads, thats how many!

Dont like the look of those 2 runs of CAT 5 held by just the one clip!

@RF

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I wondered who would be the first to pick that up. :LOL:

Mind you - I did find the brown round clips after I had used all the white ones clipping the brown cable :cry: :LOL:

Johnd said:
I'm just lacing up my hobnailed boots...

The cable route is in the same place as RF's tray so unless you're 600mm tall the cables should be safe ;)

:mad: You could have used clips the same colour as the cable :LOL:
I think the juxtaposition of contrasting colours makes a bold statement, and by challenging the blandness which would otherwise afflict it, lifts the installation to a level where it can be an inspiration to us all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back