dont laugh !! now with pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to visit a self builder today who is doing most of the work himself. He had just connected his SVP to his drains and was most proud of this. Unfortunately he thought it was a good idea to put a trap at the bottom :LOL: Good job it was spotted as if it were covered would probably not found out about it till the solids started to back up :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So what exactly is a SVP and where exactly was he putting the trap?

Sponsored Links
a u-bend that retains water to stop the smell coming back from the drains.

Ah! So the trap goes at the top of the soil vent pipe.
My impression is there should only be one trap, the 'u' bend of the toilet bowl? from there, the waste goes directly into the foul drain, which is vented to atmosphere, and then because of the fall of the drains waste products flow towards the main sewer?
Or am I talking out of my arris?

Wotan

U bend in toilet, and under all "appliances" connected to the stack, so that foul smells cant get into the house.

Stack freeflows into the sewer or drain, normally via a manhole (inspection chamber). From there it falls by gravity to a pumping station.

Whilst I appreciate the stupidity of the picture.
Our semi built c1940 the last manhole before going to the main sewer has a stupid little trap (looks about 3inch dia.) which is very easy to block up, it sometimes gets encrusted with a white hardish soap residue which in effect reduces the diameter.
JonB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back