Dont offend muslims

Sponsored Links
Well, I will be the voice of reason before everyone goes mad.

It seems to be the usual sensationalist journalistic headline to grab your attention.

It would appear that the owner may be of that faith and this is a special event for the purpose of allowing muslim women to attend (I assume that normally they would not).
So if any other customers do not want to cover up then don't go on that day.

You may be aware that I consider all religious claptrap as nonsense but it exists.

I didn't see anything about how often this 'funday' would take place.

fundays by there nature tend to be very sporadic or once or twice a year that's if the event is ever repeated
yes another non story
and i bet the word "demand" trying to suggest you must was never used it simply isn't the way people talk when referring to a fun day

Sponsored Links
I am not racist, but..................................

Before the mods freak out this is a national talking point about women not to wear bikinis but cover up with jogging bottoms and tshirts in a .... ENGLISH swimming baths in stoke as not to offend muslims.... ffs what is the world coming to

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/stoke-trent-waterworld-tells-women-cover-jogging-bottoms-t-shirts-appease-muslims-1506202

Just to make I understand what you are protesting about:

A pool is being opened outside its normal hours for a private, women-only event where Moslems and other women who do not usually go to public pools for religious observance or other reasons can swim. It is available for non-Moslem women to attend if they wish, on payment of the fee, but they are invited (but not compelled) to dress with equal modesty if they wish.

And you think this is wrong because?

Have nothing whatsoever against Islam or Muslims.... but I do recall tales of liviing in Saudi with my parents who were given license to buy alcohol as ex-pats working for some prince or other. Mum's allowance dealt with the parental requirements.

Agéd P's allowance made for quite a lucrative sideline in getting the local middle-classes pished as newts on a regualr basis. Now, being a year or two before the inevitable divorce.... I also have memories of certain Sheiks making Pater offers he probably came close to not refusing in terms of an exchange involving Mater, and a couple of camels and the odd Merc Benz.

You gotta love a bit of selective adherence to doctrines.

As for the news article..... let them crack on. If it is an event aimed at modest muslim ladies, then FFS, the dress code is as such. Has naff all to do with the world coming to an end , or a Muslim invasion. Not to mention, it is Stoke - so there really is nothing to bother/care about anyway. Apart from Holdcroft Honda, who are excellent if you care about your Honda.

I do recall tales of liviing in Saudi with my parents who were given license to buy alcohol as ex-pats working for some prince or other.
You (or your parents) were lucky. When we were there we had no concessions. It didn't stop us making our own wine, though (it was crap). You'd go to the local Indian-run shop and ask for some yeast, and the shopkeeper would also direct you to the sugar and fruit juice. Everybody knew.

We did have a lucky escape, though, when a boozy party was being held (rather unwisely) in a villa in the town. It was raided by the religious police and everyone present was sent home toot sweet. No questions asked. It made all the newspapers back home.
Fortunately, we had just left.

I've been to a few muslim countries on holiday and it always makes me laugh when I think about the workmen at one particular hotel who kept popping their heads up over the boundary wall to ogle the western females in their bikinis. Somehow I don't think they were offended by the lack of clothing.

I wonder how many lengths of the pool they would manage in a burkha :LOL:

I've been to a few muslim countries on holiday and it always makes me laugh when I think about the workmen at one particular hotel who kept popping their heads up over the boundary wall to ogle the western females in their bikinis. Somehow I don't think they were offended by the lack of clothing.

Yes, hypocrites. The Saudis certainly were. That's what comes of sexual prohibition - like Catholic priests.

I see it a reminiscent of this country in Victorian and Edwardian days. Perhaps not as all-encompassing as burkhas, but 'bathing costumes' covered most of the 'offensive' parts of the female human body. I think (it was before my time, you understand) that they didn't actually swim much, rather had a little paddle.

Yes, hypocrites. The Saudis certainly were. That's what comes of sexual prohibition - like Catholic priests.

I see it a reminiscent of this country in Victorian and Edwardian days. Perhaps not as all-encompassing as burkhas, but 'bathing costumes' covered most of the 'offensive' parts of the female human body. I think (it was before my time, you understand) that they didn't actually swim much, rather had a little paddle.

Do you mean like a Burkhini? :LOL:

I do recall tales of liviing in Saudi with my parents who were given license to buy alcohol as ex-pats working for some prince or other.
You (or your parents) were lucky. When we were there we had no concessions. It didn't stop us making our own wine, though (it was crap). You'd go to the local Indian-run shop and ask for some yeast, and the shopkeeper would also direct you to the sugar and fruit juice. Everybody knew.

We did have a lucky escape, though, when a boozy party was being held (rather unwisely) in a villa in the town. It was raided by the religious police and everyone present was sent home toot sweet. No questions asked. It made all the newspapers back home.
You surprise me JBR. I would have thought you of all people would strictly adhere to local customs and laws. The Saudi Independence Party must have been livid.

You surprise me JBR. I would have thought you of all people would strictly adhere to local customs and laws. The Saudi Independence Party must have been livid.
To be honest, being without booze never bothered me much. My wife and I had a go at making wine, but it was crap. Going to boozy parties was really just going along with the crowd.

Btw, there's no such thing as a Saudi Independence Party. They'll never be independent of their royal family and their religious leaders.

The place closes to the general public then reopens to the muzzies for the event. They actually pay more for this after hours event than non Muslims pay for normal hours. So really they are being discriminated against for having to pay more and to come after it's closed to the public.
The press just get all anal when something like this surfaces and all the EDL lot go nuts about it.

Sponsored Links
Back