Door bell buzzing, not ringing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed an old style interrupter doorbell (via transformer to mains)
which buzzes rather than rings, although on the last note there is a ring sound.

I'm not clear about where the clapper head should be in relation to the bell itself when at rest. Whether touching, close up or a little further way (i.e 5mm) it still continues to buzz.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem? When the clapper arm vibrates its movement is away from the bell. Should that be so?

Sponsored Links
some of the bells have an eccentric fixing hole in the top of the bell. If you loosen the bell fixing screw and turn the bell dome, you can probably move it so the impact point is closer or futher from the hammer end of the solenoid. Try turning it so it is at the max distance, then, while testing the noise, gradually bring it closer. Tighten the screw firmly when you have found the optimum position.

p.s. Are you using an AC supply? It might work better on DC. Try a battery.

JohnD, is correct if running an interrupter type bell it requires a DC supply
a small encapsulated bridge rectifier on output of the transformer, should do the trick, obtainable from Maplins or use battery power.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back